How can I batch move files to the same folder structure in a different location?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nick_harambee, Sep 29, 2012.

1. nick_harambee macrumors regular

Hi,

I recently had an issue with my iTunes Library so I used the Organize Library feature to have iTunes organise my library. What happened was that it put all of my music in a folder called 'Music' on my external hard drive, whereas previously it was not in a folder at all, e.g.

BEFORE: External Hard Drive / Abba / Greatest Hits / Mama Mia.m4a

AFTER: External Hard Drive / Music / Abba / Greatest Hits / Mama Mia.m4a

I don't have any particular issue with the updated folder structure, except that I had copies of the artwork for each album in my album folders, and these weren't moved when the audio files were moved/consolidated/organised. So I need to find a way of moving all of the artwork to the new folders, e.g.

External Hard Drive / Abba / Greatest Hits / folder.jpg

needs to become:

External Hard Drive / Music / Abba / Greatest Hits / folder.jpg

I have to do this for 3,000+ albums, and I have multiple artwork files for some albums, so I am hoping that there is a way of doing this using a batch/automated method of some kind, but I haven't been able to turn up anything yet.

Can someone help with this?

Thanks,

Nick

2. doh123 macrumors 65816

no idea if there is an "easy" way...

I'd go straight up UNIX and use tar.

tar so the structure is held relative path... then move the music folder and untar without overwriting...

the exact flags for tar to get that right I don't recall, but you can look it up. You have to do it right or it won't be relative paths, or it may overwrite your folders.