How can I be sure my MBP is outputting 5.1 surround ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marklight, Apr 26, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

I just have my MBP connected to my Bose Home audio system through optical, but it's hard for me to tell if I'm getting true 5.1 surround from my videos as even the videos that are just 2.1 give sound from the back speakers (I think the Bose is just using the audio from the front two speakers and duplicating it to the back two).

Is there a song - like a Dolby testing piece- that I could use to test each channel- or just some easy test I could do?

UPDATE: Hey I downloaded an audio file that tested sound channels, when I played it on my setup - the audio channels were reversed and mixed up ... any ideas?

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The Receiver should tell you which speakers its getting input for.

Example, im listening to Music through PS3, my Receiver shows info for L,C,R,SW.

3. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea that's the thing- I used to have a receiver that easily told me this. I'm not too familiar with the Bose setup, but it doesn't easily tell me what it's receiving.

4. djmitch macrumors newbie

Can't you send a test sound throug your macbookpro in the soundcontrol menu?

5. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I didn't even know the mbp could output 5.1

That makes me happy.

6. mikey.f macrumors regular

Yeah, it goes through optical output

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just put in a THX enabled movie and it will have a THX testing suite which enables testing for the surround sound.

8. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

I tested the audio using a 5.1 surround test piece- some of the channels came out reversed, and I think the center and right channels were the same- it was just a mess the way it handled it... any ideas?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't have issues when I test my 5.1 with Toslink. It is possible your cables are hooked up incorrectly. Which Bose 5.1 product do you have?