Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
How can I benchmark upload and download speeds. I strongly suspect my ISP is not delivering the speeds they promise.

Thanks.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Okay, I'm getting the 30 Mbps (approximately) that the ISP is claiming I'm getting (and for which they are charging $62/month!). However, just how much faster is it than 15 Mbps? For $15/month less, I will only get the 15 Mbps, but how actually noticeable will that be to me, the regular user, the casual surfer who doesn't download a lot of video, streaming or otherwise?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Okay, I'm getting the 30 Mbps (approximately) that the ISP is claiming I'm getting (and for which they are charging $62/month!). However, just how much faster is it than 15 Mbps? For $15/month less, I will only get the 15 Mbps, but how actually noticeable will that be to me, the regular user, the casual surfer who doesn't download a lot of video, streaming or otherwise?

I have a 16Mb/s connection for 30€ (14 USD) and it is more than fast enough as I get download speeds of up to 1.8MB/s, meaning I could download a movie in ten minutes if I wanted to.
For normal browsing even 10Mb/s or slower would suffice.
30Mb/s is twice as fast as 15Mb/s, theoretically, but it might only be 1.8 times faster.

Btw, 8Mb/s = 1MB/s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.