How can I block a site on my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrskullfreak, Feb 17, 2012.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

If I don't want someone to access a web site how can I block it?
    thx SF.

2. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Yes I did do that.
    I like to block it from my login to.
    Its actually Facebook my daughter spend to much time on that and not ding home work.
    I am not home nites so I can't control it.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Change your password and don't give it out?

4. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

Download and install K9 Web Protection from Bluecoat. It's a free program that gives all sorts of expanded parental controls and web filtering options. One thing it can do is block all social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc) as a category or you can blacklist specific sites. There are also timers for internet access where you can specify that between certain hours, allow access for a specified length of time, block internet access completely (such as when you're not home), etc.

It also logs and monitors all traffic and can send you email alerts when certain categories are attempted and such. I've used it for years. It can be as restrictive or permissive as you like (there's even the option to simply have it log all traffic but not filter or restrict it in any way).

Of course, all of this comes with the idea that as your child gets older, you need to talk about these things and give them ways to prove themselves responsible and trustworthy so they gain more and more freedom (within age-appropriate limits of course). If all you do is shut it down and not have good discussions with them, you're likely to just create resentment and nudge them toward finding ways to get around your restrictions (hopping on an unsecured WiFi outlet nearby, using a mobile phone as a modem, using their friend's mobile phone or internet connection, etc.)

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A sophisticated user can easily get around it, but if you use OpenDNS in your DNS settings, you can configure it to block access to a particular site.

6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Easiest solution is to edit your hosts file.

All these parental control solutions are too obvious. Your daughter will not figure that one out.

7. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Take away the modem and buy her some books. She will learn so much more about referencing, valid information and being more selective due to reading thoroughly...

Just thinking out the box ;)

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

map the name to IP 127.0.0.1 in the machine's hosts file.

9. wilsonjm macrumors newbie

Hi,

As recommended by a previous member I installed the K9 Web Protection from Bluecoat and it is excellent. My son is only 2 at the moment so it will be a while until I have the same issue as you, but I am keen to find out my options.

Oh, and no parenting advice from me...

Regards.

10. Subish macrumors member

I also use OpenDNS good thing is your can setup in your router also if what to effect the whole network.

I just use on my kids laptop to keep an eye of those misspelled words.