How can I burn a .mkv file? UPDATED

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nGoldenm, Jan 12, 2008.

1. nGoldenm macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I need some help. I've got a .mkv file that I would like to burn. I've tried a couple of things that I have found from searchig, but I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

I have tried downloading perian so that I could open it in quicktime and then save it as a .mov file. But after installing perian, I try to open the file and quicktime gives me an error saying that it is not a movie file.

I've tried several other programs, including MoKgVm2DVD to try and convert it to a .avi but that had no success.

I would like to keep as much of the quality in there as possible. I would just like to be able to burn it to a cd/dvd that I can play in my divx capable dvd player. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. nGoldenm thread starter macrumors newbie

I get this error when using VisualHub:

"0.0,,,,,Video,h264,yuv420p,960,528,24.39
    0.1,,,,,Audio,mpeg4aac,48000,5.1
    Resampling with input channels greater than 2 unsupported.Abort at ffmpeg.c:1574"

What does this mean? I would just like to convert it to a readable format by my dvd player.

4. nGoldenm thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I (kinda) successfully got the .mkv to convert to .mov by opening it with VLC and converting from there. But I only get the audio to come out. There's no video. Any other options out there?

UPDATE: Ok, I have successfully converted the .mkv file into a burnable .divx file which wil play on my dvd player. But it is a very ugly process, and the quality is reduced pretty drastically.

First I started with the .mkv file and loaded it into AppleMacSoft Converter. That produced an uncompressed .MOV file. From there I loaded the .MOV file into Divx Converter. I used this to produce a .divx file to burn onto a cd. I then had to burn this using the standard Burn Folder. This plays in my player, but the quality has been reduced to such that there is no benefit whatsoever to using the .mkv to begin with.

Does anyone know of a better way of converting this atrocious .mkv to a normal, usable file that can be burned to a cd or dvd for use in a standalone dvd player?

5. skeley69 macrumors member