How Can I Burn ".dvdmedia" onto a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HappyDude20, Jan 11, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Back in the summer of 2009 I visited my grandparents in Idaho where their garage held an assortment of old VHS tapes and DVD's with family movies.

I started with the VHS tapes by using my uncle's VHS/DVD player & recorder where I transferred the footage from the VHS tapes to a DVD. I made 1
    DVD from about 5 VHS tapes.

Then I found about 10 DVD's with family footage.

At the time back in summer I scoured the forum and overall online looking for how to get the DVD's to my Mac. At the time that's all I cared about; just getting the family footage into my computer in any way so i'd feel safe knowing I'd have a digital copy of our memories. I got RipIt, which I used to rip the footage from these 10+ family DVD's to my Mac.

..Little did I know it would save it to my Mac as a ".dvdmedia" file, which i', guessing is only playable for Macs. At the time I didn't really mind seeing as since my MBP is always with me I would just show my family the videos from my computer screen. The quality is awesome but ever since running into a lot of family during Christmas a few weeks ago, I've since been frequently reminded from someone in my family to either burn them a DVD copy and mail it out to them...or upload them to YouTube.

...In other words, i'm lost. I'm stuck and unaware of what to do next.

Help is honestly, seriously appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

.dvdmedia is only the suffix for a Video_TS folder bundle, so that it is playable by DVD Player (the Mac OS X application of that name) by just double clicking on it.

If you right click on it and select Show Package Contents you will se the Video_TS folder inside that bundle or some .ifo and .vob files in it.
    [​IMG]
    example of Show Package Contents context menu

Either way, copy (by dragging or CMD+C) the Video_TS folder (or all the files) to another place on your HDD (wherever you want) or create a Video_TS folder for if there are only files in the bundle so you can copy those files there.

Then you can again burn the Video_TS folder with either Toast or Burn (free) as a video DVD.

3. rk1991 macrumors regular

what spinnerlys said but for future use you can go to the ripit preferences and there should be a checkbox which says weather you want the files to be renamed as .dvdmedia or not. Uncheck it and then the files will show up as Video_ts

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I extracted the files, of which all were FOB files. I have Toast but am not exactly sure what the next step is. I dragged the files into the "Mac & PC" category but nothing. Then I checked VIDEO, which seems appropiate, but am torn between choosing DVD Video or TS_Video, or I can even click on DVD-Rom.....
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You mean .vob files, don't you?

I give you the steps needed to properly burn the data to a video DVD (DVD-ROMs are data DVDs).

1. Open the .dvdmedia file as shown.
    2. a) If no folder named VIDEO_TS is in there, create one in another place (example: Users/YOU/Desktop/burning DVDs/VIDEO_TS) and drag all the files from the .dvdmedia file in there (.bup, .ifo, .vob)
    2. b) If a folder named VIDEO_TS resides in there, drag the VIDEO_TS folder to another place on your HDD (example: Users/YOU/Desktop/burning DVDs)

Both a) and b) will take a while I suppose as it copies the data.

3. Open Toast, select Video tab and there select VIDEO_TS folders.
    4. Drag the VIDEO_TS folder you created or copied (in 2. a or b) onto that Window.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe deselect "Use fit to DVD compression" if you have a Double Layer (DL) DVD-/+R medium and the video DVD needs more than 4.38GB to be burnt.

5. Burn.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yes, VOB, my apologies.

I've hit a bump when I attempt to drag the Video_TS folder into Toast. Toast tells me its not a valid Video_TS folder.

What I did was go into my familyvid1.dvdmedia file, and selected the VOB files over 1GB, assuming these would be the video files, while im guessing the rest in other formats weren't, and simply copied those VOB files to a new "Video_TS" folder that I created and named, then placed on the desktop. After dragging to Toast and it not working I created a "Burning DVD" folder and placed that "Video_TS" folder inside of it...but still nada.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Revisit step 2:

A video DVD needs those files, not just the ones being around 1GB. There can even be .vob files less than 1GB and they still contain video. The 1GB size of the .vob files is just a file size limit on DVDs using the most common file system.

A video DVD has another structure than a data DVD (the one you put into a video DVD player and can't use as a video DVD, but maybe see the .jpgs, or listen to the .mp3s or maybe even watch the .avis stored on that, but not the .vob files.

You need to select the video option in Toast to make a proper video DVD, and the VIDEO_TS folder you copied or created has to have all the files that are in the original VIDEO_TS folder.

AGAIN: ALL FILES IN THE VIDEO_TS FOLDER ARE NEEDED: .IFO, .BUP and .VOB.