Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Is there a software program or website that will easily calculate and track mutual fund and stock investment totals? I don't need the ability to actively trade. I'd appreciate any input

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Is there a software program or website that will easily calculate and track mutual fund and stock investment totals? I don't need the ability to actively trade. I'd appreciate any input

I usually build it in Excel or something so that I can keep track of a lot of accounts without putting my passwords into some site that might get hacked.

So, my brokerage, 401k, roth, savings accounts, etc., are all in a spreadsheet and I just go grab the numbers every week or so. It's not healthy to watch your Roth/IRA/401k on a frequent basis. They're supposed to be there for decades with appropriate rebalancing and such.

On my stock brokerage, I've put limits on highs and lows in case something happens and I can't get to it. I watch the stocks regularly enough to know when I need to adjust those limits.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Thank you for the reply

This is actually for my father. He's retired now and looking through his portfolio and the market news each morning gives him something to do :rolleyes:. Right now he's tracking with a good ole notebook and piece of paper. I think what he's looking for is a program or website that will tabulate totals and deliver it with the click of a button each morning. It's the Scrooge McDuck syndrome

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Thank you for the reply

This is actually for my father. He's retired now and looking through his portfolio and the market news each morning gives him something to do :rolleyes:. Right now he's tracking with a good ole notebook and piece of paper. I think what he's looking for is a program or website that will tabulate totals and deliver it with the click of a button each morning. It's the Scrooge McDuck syndrome

Cool deal. First thing for you to do then is to identify each of the firms he does business with, and find out if the information is available online. You might go get a great app, but if his data can't be scraped, it's useless.

While finding out if it's online, find out if they have recommended apps. Does he use a Mac, or Windows? That will also be key info to have.

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
He is on a Mac and I believe he's just interested in monitoring stocks and mutual funds, all of which can be searched via something like Yahoo Finance.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
He is on a Mac and I believe he's just interested in monitoring stocks and mutual funds, all of which can be searched via something like Yahoo Finance.

Then you might go cheap, and just build him a portfolio in Yahoo Finance so that he can see the numbers, but doesn't have to worry about somebody gaining access to his accounts.

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Bank Web Site

My Bank links to my investment accounts and post a running total of their value every time I log in. So his banks web site could be a place to look.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Then you might go cheap, and just build him a portfolio in Yahoo Finance so that he can see the numbers, but doesn't have to worry about somebody gaining access to his accounts.

I agree with this. He can make a portfolio on aol finance (daily finance) or yahoo finance quite easily.

JsR

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Newcastle
Try a website called Digital Look (http://www.digitallook.com) and create a profile.

You will need to enter things such as how many shares you hold in the company, what you purchased at, the price - and it will save it. With a click of a button it will just update it for you and keep track and tell you how much P/L you hold.

I use it - very reliable and excellent if you just want a quick glance.

I hope that's the kind of thing your looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.