How can I capture flash videos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, Apr 10, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I visit several sites that have flash videos and I want to copy them and load them into my iPod. How do I do that?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The Stand plugin for Safari will let you middle-click on flash videos and save them, but you'll still need to have Perian installed so you can open them with QuickTime-based apps and transcode to iPod-compatible H.264 MP4 files.

3. 6mt15 macrumors member

In Safari under the Window menu, select Activity, find the .flv file (its usually the largest file) and double click it. Opens a new window and downloads the file to your normal download location in .flv format. I use VisualHub to then convert it to mp4, but I'm sure there are other alternatives.

4. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Anything for Camino or Firefox (or just a standalone app)? I really don't try ti use Safari unless I have too.

5. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Are you sure that is what the Stand does? I was on their website and didn't see a feature to download videos. :confused:

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

TubeTv link for your flash vid download pleasure...

7. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Navigate to the page with the flv video file embedded in it, open Safari's activity window, find the url of the flv file, copy and past it to this site to convert it to an iPod friendly formate for free.

Edit: Ha ha. I love how everyone has their own way of doing this.

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Have a look at using this site for downloading flv files, and if you need to convert files to a different format you can do it online here

9. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Thanks guys. I found this Safari plugin called CosmoPod which claims to do everything I want but doesn't work. :( I'll try some of your suggestions and report back.