How can I capture or download streaming video?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oxband, Nov 23, 2011.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I know this is a basic question, but I imagine potential answers change all the time. I dont have internet at home, and there are some programs that are free and streaming on the internet, like PBS' Frontline, that I want to watch at home. I want to know if I can somehow capture the streaming video to watch later.

Thoughts or suggestions?

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Are you talking about downloading from Safari browser? If so go to the page and click Window > Activity.

Search on the list and find the biggest file or the file name. Double click and it should start downloading in the downloads folder.

Assuming you're using 5.1.1.

Hopefully that helps :)

3. oxband thread starter macrumors 6502

Are there any non Safari options? I typically use Chrome

4. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

Your method helped me. Thanks!!

5. Lunaprk macrumors newbie

All,

I can rip YouTube videos using that technique but no other streams. I wait until the video has played through before I go looking in the Activity window, but I dont find the large file. Anything I may be doing wrong?

6. qwasedral macrumors member

Theres probably something on the Chrome web store for this, search it and you'll probably find something.

7. John444 macrumors member

You can download streaming videos using Firefox. There is an add-on called the Video DownloadHelper. Just go to the Firefox add-on page and search Video DownloadHelper and then install it (once installed it should be an icon right near your url bar). Anytime a video is being streamed on Firefox this icon will start moving, and you click on the little arrow right beside it and chose a format and it will download onto your computer.

8. deekaye macrumors newbie

I really need to do this as well, as my church has just switched to streaming in Flash and making it impossible for us to now save our sermons (used to save them as Quicktime).

Now they open in a window with a url of "http://mediasuite.multicast.com"

I would like to try Video DownloadHelper but when we stream the video in Firefox it opens in its own window (see url above) and ALL my tool bars disappear (even though they are still checked) so I cannot see any icon dancing or otherwise.

I have tried the Safari idea and all I see under activity are small kb files. (Safari does let me see my tool bars!)

I am running Tiger & Safari 4.1.3 and Firefox 3.6.26.

This is really annoying!

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

9. dewjack macrumors member

dewjack

Hi!

Having the same problem as deekaye. I am not satisfied with quicktimex since it also records what is outside of the desired window, plus I am having problems with the sound. Maybe the answer has presented itself in another thread, if anyone knows, could you show a link?

Thank you
    /yours dewjack, very new here.

10. lumineon macrumors newbie

The June MacUpdate bundle has an application called Jaksta that looks like it records streaming video. I bought the bundle this morning, but haven't tested Jaksta yet.

The bundle also comes with Parallels 7 and BusyCal - A steal for $50.

11. dewjack macrumors member

dewjack

thank you lumineon. I downloaded the demo version of Jaksta and it did record the intended video, something which the previous demo app I tried did not.