How can i change the font across the whole system?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Harrelson, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Harrelson macrumors member

As the title says i have migrated from Vista to OSX and im looking for a way to change all the fonts used by Leopard to one of my choosing.

I find all standard fonts on either Windows or OSX too large and ugly and on Vista i used FontSelector to change the font and size across the system. What is the alternative for OSX?

p.s -i have tried tinkertools but it doesn't change all fonts as the SS shows

Attached Files:

2. drayon macrumors 6502

Hi dude, Tinkertool is about the best one can achieve. Unfortunately this will not change the System Font used in the Menu Bar (Time in Menu is the exception) and Contextual Menus. Additionally it will not change the font in Carbon applications such as the Finder (I replaced Apple's POS Finder with Path Finder by cocoatech.com to get around this limitation) iTunes, DVD Player ect. Cocoa applications will respect MOST font settings made in Tinkertool. Tinkertool is acceptable how ever I strongly desire the ability to change the font type in the Menu Bar, Menus and context menus to something nicer and much smaller. here is a pic of my Tinkertool Settings

[​IMG]

To control all the fonts displayed in your Web Browsers such as Safari you need to create a Custom Style Sheet (a text file with the extension .css) in the sample of the code below the Optima font is used to display html main text, the Courier font controls fixed width font used on pages such as forums where users have pasted in unix terminal code, the 'textarea' element controls the font used in text boxes
    and forms such as the text area used to reply to threads in forums. The final element 'javascript'changes javascript links to a different color which is useful to me but perhaps not for others. The text file is saved an named something like 'OptimaFont.css' and can be loaded in Safari's Preferences under Advanced-> Style Sheet.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    html, body, * {
    font-family: Optima !important;
    font-size: 10px !important;
    }
    pre {
    font-family: Courier !important;
    font-size: 11px !important;
    }
    textarea {
    font-family: Optima !important;
    font-size: 11px ! important;
    }
    a[href^="javascript:"] {
    color: green !important;
    }
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried http://unsanity.com/haxies/silk years ago with limited success.

Hope this is useful and worth my time explaining it all ;-)

3. Quicksilver00X macrumors newbie

So far, the best way to change system font on Leopard is this:

Font Porting

The whole process might seem a bit tedious but its well worth it, the font changes reflect superbly.

4. Harrelson thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the answers guys! Ill try them now

5. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

If you need any kind of help, message me :)
    I've successful ported a bunch of fonts to OS X using the manual replacing method (whose is the best till now).

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Path Finder sucks because it does a worse job than Finder and costs money.