How can I charge multiple iPads at the same time? What about syncing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jordan985, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Jordan985 macrumors newbie

I'd like to be able to charge and sync 20 iPads for my classroom. Doing them one at a time has been really tedious. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. shazzam macrumors regular

I assume u got 20 chargers to go along with ur 20 iPads? Buy three 8-outlet power boards and charge all of them at once in just three power points.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

For charging, I think each iPad comes with the USB-to-dock-connector cable and a USB-to-wall-plug adapter. You can plug every one of those into a standard home wall socket for charging.

For sync, there's no easier way. You will only be able to plug in so many iPads to any Mac because it uses USB bus power to charge. You might get 3 or 4 at a time, but I'm not even sure that iTunes will sync that many. There's not really a faster way to sync that I know of. You can see if whatever stuff you're syncing can be downloaded to the iPads directly, which would allow you to start downloading on each one simultaneously.

4. uzit macrumors regular

5. KEENJ27817 macrumors newbie

Charge/Sync up to 20 IPads at once

Check out http://www.paratsolutions.com/

They have a solution used mostly by museums and other public venues that use IPads as video guides.

later

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Wow they are seriously cool for anyone who has a lot of iPads! Ideal for OP. Probably quite expensive though!

If you jailbreak then you have the possibility of wireless sync http://www.gadgetvenue.com/iphone-itunes-wireless-sync-jailbreak-05143258/ not tried it myself though so couldn't say how much easier it is than plugging a load of wires in!

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

The ipad version is not out yet (based on their website), looks like the price might be around $1,000

8. ctyhntr, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I have to go with Shazzam's suggestion, as you want to stick with the iPad's 10 Watt charger, as it will charge faster than the standard USB charger.

As for syncing, you may want to look at something like 24 port powered USB hub from Thinkgeek.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/e5be/

9. JohnApple7 macrumors newbie

Apple has arranged it so that you can sync up to 20 iPads through iTunes if you use a MacBook to do so. If you use a windows platform, you can only sync 7 iPads. There is a company that has developed a product that can auto-sync (and charge) up to 16 iPads simultaneously. Visit www.ipadcart.info. They are way ahead of the curve. Also, it takes 13 hours to charge a fully depleted iPad battery via a 2.0 usb connection. These guys have figured out a way to do it in four hours.

10. Jordan985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone. I looked into JohnApple's suggestion since that solution is available now. Datamation Systems' auto-sync and charge product provides exactly what I need. The rep that answered the phone there was very helpful, too.

11. Visualedtech macrumors newbie

Sync and Charge Multiple iPads

New companies are now in the market, providing sync and charge solutions.

LockNCharge is now offering a handheld 16 USB SyncNCharge unit.

Please review at www.visualedtech.com

12. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

As for the Synching question you had, what exactly are you syncing? If it's just updates to notes or some other class related content, can the Bump app work in this regard?

I've never used it, but I do know you can transfer items from one device to another by "bumping" them together (like bumping fists). I am just not sure what the entirety of exactly one can bump.

Mike

13. supertechx macrumors newbie

iChargeAndSync can help

:) The new invention, iChargeAndSync is now available and can be custom made to support multiple ipads for charge and sync with newer Macs and windows based PC's too for a fee that everyone can afford.

See http://ichargeandsync.com

[​IMG]

service@supertechx.com

14. tokyokevin macrumors newbie

Griffin Multidock

I have 30 iPads for my classes in Tokyo. We are waiting for the Griffin Multidock to clear the electric safety regulations, but should get 3 in the next week. It covers 4 functions: 1) Charging, 2) Synching, 3) Storage, 4) Security

Honestly, we don't need the security and we could synch over our wireless network. Paying $70 per iPad just to charge is expensive. We considered just having lots of the standard USB connected to extension cords, but that gets unwieldy. And the storage, keeping them so the screens don't get scratched, is another consideration. There is a high-powered 16-USB charger (you need high power, 10 watts, so most multiple USB chargers don't really work). This one is more than half the price of a multidock (per iPad).

The Multidocks you can daisy chain up to 3 so I can synch all 30 of my iPads at once. At least according to the literature.

Will send an update after the the Multidocks arrive. If you are in the US, you can get them now.

15. Globetrotter66 macrumors newbie

20 ipads charging carrying case

I have found this hard trolley case that can charge up to 20 ipads simultaneously and is quite unexpensive... www.thecaseproject.com
    hope that can help you.

16. zipur macrumors 6502

1) iChargeAndSync is Green: It Shuts Down And Draws No Power When Not In Use.
    2) The iChargeAndSync is Compatible With Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP.
    3) A Quality Dock Cable Must Be Used.
    4) Mac's Are No Longer Supported Due To Apple Incompatibility Issues.