How can I check if my phone is unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lakaiordie, Dec 9, 2016.

1. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

I have a t-mobile phone. I put in an older at&t sim (not activated) and it shows Carrier AT&T 26.0 under General- about. Does that mean it is unlocked?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you didn't get a message that your SIM isn't supported and you seem to have an AT&T signal and carrier information listed then it seems like it's unlocked.

3. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried a sprint sim and it said not supported.

4. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

T-Mobile iPhone 7 have the intel modem. They don't have cdma radios. So no Sprint or Verizon usage.

5. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

If it works with T-Mobile, and is unlocked, it will more than likely work with T-Mobile AND AT&T.
    But, like others have said, Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers...

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like it's unlocked.
    What model iPhone?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

That could potentially be because your phone might not support CDMA. What iPhone are we talking about exactly?

8. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

A1688
    --- Post Merged, Dec 9, 2016 ---
    its a 6s not a 7

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

So you are saying a T-Mobile SIM works and an AT&T SIM works, but a Sprint SIM gives a not supported error?

10. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

yes. i accidentally tried to wipe it on iTunes without a sim in it. and when it wanted to activate. neither t-mobile sim or at&t wanted to work over wifi. so I had to do it all over again. this time with the t-mobile on it in, worked fine. should i try it with the at&t one also (wipe it with the at&t sim in it and and set it up again?)

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sprint has over 14 different SKUs for SIM cards. A SIM card for a Sprint iPhone 5 will not work in a 5c or above. A Sprint Android SIM will not work in an iPhone and vice versa.

When it comes to Sprint you have to have the right SIM card for the device. AND you have to give Sprint the IMEI of the device so it works with that SIM. Sprint is not like the other carriers where you can just swap SIMs if you feel like it.

Assuming your device has CDMA capability and can use at least one of Sprint's bands (as has already been mentioned).

12. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Realistically if you restore in iTunes that should give a message that your device is unlocked if it's actually unlocked (at least it used to).

14. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

i guess it wasnt. it was a replacement from the genius bar, i wonder why it didn't do that before i restored. it recognized the at&t sim. but now since i restored from iTunes the same error that sim not supported for at&t. it wasnt originally unlocked though. i wasnt expecting it, but was just surprised it didn't give me an error before.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So it's not unlocked.
    It sounds like it's locked to T-Mobile.

16. Europa13 macrumors 6502

Agreed. If the phone were unlocked, an unactivated AT&T SIM would show "No Service." If the phone is locked to T-Mobile, it would say "SIM Not Supported."

17. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

it actually said that prior to me doing a dfu restore in iTunes. thats why I was confused.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 9, 2016 ---
    i ended up calling t-mobile, giving them the imei and they said its unlocked but it still has the activation lock. so they'll unlock it after 40 days. i should of never dfu restored it.

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I wonder why 40 days? So do you intend just to wait it out?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What?
    Activation lock is just the icloud device Apple ID lock and has nothing to do with carrier unlock or using other sims.
    And then they told you its unlocked but they'll unlock it after 40 days?
    I dont get it...

20. Paco II macrumors 65816

This makes sense. The phone is locked, but T-Mobile will unlock it for the OP. This just have a 40 day 'requirement'.

Unlock eligibility for monthly phones, tablets, and mobile Internet devices
    • The device must have been active on the T-Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.

21. lakaiordie thread starter macrumors 65816

well technically when i gave them the imei they said the device is unlocked. but its tied to t-mobile for the next 40 days. so ill just do their pay as you go.

22. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Doesn't seem right. It's unlocked, but still tied to T-Mobile for the next 40 days? What happens then? If it's unlocked, then it's unlocked.

23. Paco II macrumors 65816

The OP said that when he put in At&t sim it said unsupported. So it's probably locked. Either he misunderstood the T-mobile rep, or the rep misspoke. Sounds like T-Mobile will unlock after 40 days.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So it's not unlocked and they will unlock it after the 40 days are up.

25. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this. So, the 40 days is just policy then, with no other significance.