How can I clean corrosion from inside the Lightning port?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidg4781, Sep 26, 2018.

  1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Location:
    Alice, TX
    #1
    Ok. I’m an idiot. I’m dumb. Let’s get that out of the way.

    I was taking a long bath (medical condition thing) and using iPhone. I kept my hands dry but maybe some sweat went in to the Lightning port. When I got out I charged it back up using an Anker cable. It started getting hot towards the bottom and when I unplugged it the Lightning connnector was corroded and looks burnt or melted.

    How can I clean the inside connectors? I have some alcohol but nothing slim enough to fit inside.

    And FWIW, this cable has had some issues with my iPhone where if I moved iPhone it would buzz like it’s charging and being disconnected. I tried the same cable on other devices and this doesn’t happen.
     
  2. AxlTJ macrumors member

    AxlTJ

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2018
    #2
    You can get a contact cleaner or an alcohol. Clean the lightning plug first then just plug and unplug repeatedly. This should remove the corrosion inside.

    If Qtips are not an option, you can use a toothpick, a small paintbrush, make up brush etc.

    Also, it is possible that the lightning port is now faulty.
     
  3. Minho macrumors regular

    Minho

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2017
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #3
    It may indeed be faulty after the defibrillator treatment you just gave it :p. However, if the Lightning connector was not connecting properly beforehand, the port may also be filled with lint and dust. You can try cleaning it out with a fine needle or picks. Just be very careful when using metal tools inside the charge port. You can easily damage the pins and you really should open up the phone and disconnect the battery first.
     
  4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Location:
    Alice, TX
    #4
    Would lint do this? There was some lint on the end of the cable. And I've had to take lint out before.

    I'd fill better about myself it was lint and not water.
     
  5. Minho macrumors regular

    Minho

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2017
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #5
    Lint won't cause the burn marks, obviously, but it will cause intermittent connections.
     
  6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Location:
    Alice, TX

Share This Page

5 September 26, 2018