How can I clean my Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LEOMODE, Feb 26, 2017.

1. LEOMODE macrumors regular

I have 2010 Mac Pro.

I would like to replace outside enclosure and access door to a new one.
    So while I'm doing it, I was wondering if I have to take everything apart in the first place. Because if that's the case, then I might as well as clean the fans and unreachable areas.

My question is, if you want to replace a case, do you have to take everything apart? (like wires and stuff), or are they all attached to the motherboards so I just have to take the motherboard out (like a PC) and just put that into a new case?

Also, is there any Youtube video regarding replacing parts or cleaning Mac Pro? I didn't have any luck finding it.

Thanks in advance.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There's four pieces that are part of the the case:
    Media shelf
    Media fan
    AirPort antenna board and cables
    Rear panel latch

Everything else is removed, then transferred to the replacement case, and that means everything, fans, boards power supply, optical and storage drives.
    It's a serious job, and you need to be quite organized to keep the various parts and screws under control.

I would suggest locating a service manual for the MacPro.
    You should be able to find it by searching by original file name of the manual. Should pop up on a site where you could download it.
    here's the filename, as far as I know.
    Even the full service manual doesn't do a teardown to an empty case, but should get you close enough.

3. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds really painful. With my level of skill, I don't think it would be possible to do an overhaul on my PC... Thanks a lot for the information though..