How can I clean up the insides of my computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lsawtell, Sep 12, 2010.

1. lsawtell macrumors newbie

Are there any programs to use that can clean up some of the "Junk" in my computer (extra files etc)?

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

3. eah2119 macrumors regular

Occasionally you'll download and install a program, but then after a while you decide you don't like it and want to get rid of it, so you drag it to the trash, right? Well, sometimes when you drag it to the trash you only delete the application and not the rest of the data the app put on your HD when it was installed. You can go searching through the folders in your Library folder and when you find a folder for an application you no longer have you can verify it is not something important your computer needs and you can delete it. But be wary, many folders are needed for your computer to function. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DELETE!!

I had an app that was only 7.2 MB. When I installed it, it added 336.2 MB of data on my HD for the app. For me the info was located in Macintosh HD>Library>DesignPro. Some are located in Macintosh HD>Library>Application Support. DO NOT delete these files unless you delete the application as the app may not work if it isn't there. An uninstall option is sometimes available for the app and that should delete the extra files.

Other than that you could get rid of some music or photos, or documents. Video takes up the most space. One movie can be 2 GB.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are some threads about how cleanmymac cleaned too much and resulted in an awful mess.