Resolved How can I close Terminal, but keep Java program running in remote Unix shell?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by tevion5, Jan 3, 2015.

1. tevion5, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Okay so this is probably a super straight forward issue, but I can not find a clear answer online after a good bit of searching.

Basically, I am trying to set up my MineCraft server to run off a remote linux system on my college campus. I can upload the game server files, connect with ssh and start it up no problem. I can connect from any client and it all runs surprisingly well.

But here's the problem.

The moment I exit the SSH session by closing the Terminal.app on my mac, the server stops. How can I keep the server operating after I close the session on my Mac? I tried using things like 'nohup' and such, but because I am stuck in a Java/Minecraft sort of session, it only excepts minecraft related commands.

How do I go back a level in the command line so that I can close my SSH session and keep my server running?

2. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Never mind, I figured out how to use 'Screen'! Amazing stuff. :D

3. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

4. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

5. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

just use an ampersand at the end of your command

You could also launch the program as a forked process in a subshell.

Just add an ampersand (&) after your server command. The process is launched and control is returned to you.

More info : http://hacktux.com/bash/ampersand

6. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

At the point of backgrounding a job, a nohup, and redirection of stdin, stderr, and stdout would also be prudent.

-Lee