How can I completely uninstall a program?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JoshJosh117, Mar 14, 2009.

1. JoshJosh117, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. liamwillib macrumors member

I think for most apps you can just drag the icon into the trash as the apps are contained in a package. (Check it out, right click the icon and show package contents)
    For the few apps that might save your app settings in other folders i've got AppTrap which should (if you set it to start up when you turn on your mac) automatically track down all the extra files the app created when you do the standard 'drag into trash'. Think there are some other apps that will do the same but can't remember the name.
    Sounds like you might still have some paranoia from a previous windows life. ;)

3. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

yeah, you can just drag them into the bin, but i use a 3rd party unistaller called appcleaner. its really good as it makes sure any pref files and other random stuf that its made are also deleted, save clogging up your harddrive in the long run. and did i also mention its free :D.

Do a google search for appcleaner and you should find it.

4. hawkeye9935 macrumors newbie

I use AppDelete, works like magic. It finds all the files attached to the program and bundles them up then fires them into your trash, very tidy.

5. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

If you're more inclined towards a payed solution, AppZapper is pretty good.