How can I compress a Quicktime movie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikebatho, Dec 3, 2009.

1. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

I've recorded a short movie using photo booth, but it's still about 20mb

Is there an easy bit of free software I can download to squash it down a bit? Almost like decreasing the file size of a pdf? I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of the physical srceen size of the movie or the quality. It's just a little big to post.

Cheers in advance.

2. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

that's no help to me whatsoever.

I need directions.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

What kind of video is it? How long is it? How small do you need it to be? It's kind of hard to recommend settings if you don't know much about the input file, and have no idea what the output should be like.

4. mikebatho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, it's a quicktime MOV file, and I'd like to get it down to under 10 mb from almost 20

5. axeldtf macrumors 6502

1-"I've recorded a short movie using photo booth, but it's still about 20mb
    Is there an easy bit of free software I can download to squash it down a bit? Almost like decreasing the file size of a pdf? I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of the physical srceen size of the movie or the quality. It's just a little big to post.

Cheers in advance."

You could also try the isquint app. it's pretty selt explanatory, a lot of options for shrinking down video files.

2-
    Depending on the type of file (avi, mpeg, etc) Roxio Toast is good for burning them to a disc.

6. rebeccamartin macrumors member

I can say if its a torrent download then it will not be in DVD format, the movie will be either in avi, mov, mp4...
    o copy it in DVD you need to first convert it to VOB format (it is dvd format) only after that you can burn it to your dvd. there are lots of software available for the dvd format conversion to convert your movie file.