How can I connect my Mac to a PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by travelman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. travelman macrumors newbie

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and also to Macs I have recently acquired a Mac from my son that uses these for his Business etc and hopefully convert to Macs. unfortunately I am to far away for help from him to set up a Networking but he told me to get a Switch to start with so I have obtained a Belkin2 Switch +USB and Audio. I have both computers set up and running no problem.
    As they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing so though it advisable to get more info from the Forum. Basically what I need is a step by step details regards the wiring and in which order I should install them as I understand there is practically nothing else to it, of course I am connected to Broadband and using a Netgear Router and have a lead for the router to the Mac.
    Many thanks
    Travelman
    Ps hopefully I have posted in the correct Forum ?
    I Should have said I am using XP Home Edition on PC

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch -- i.e. one that allows two computers to use the same display and input hardware, or is it a network switch -- i.e. a device that

It sounds like a KVM. A KVM wouldn't let you do networking between the computers. You'd establish networking by having both computers hooked up to the Netgear router that you mentioned. They both plug into LAN ports on the router (any one -- they're typically labeled 1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4) or else obtain a wireless signal from the router if it's a wireless router and the computer has wifi.

Once you've plugged both into the router, you just have to configure disk sharing on each and then you'll be set.

Here are directions to make the Mac offer its disks for sharing to Windows:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1812

Here are directions to make the Windows computer offer its disks for sharing to the Mac:

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html

Here are some Vista directions:

http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/03/07/file-sharing-from-windows-vista-to-os-x/

3. travelman thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Ver PC

Thanks MKrishnan for a prompt reply,
    Yes its a KVM so to use one Keyboaed and monitor and mouse I did mention net working but I only want one or the other to backup and until I have sorted the Mac keyboard instructions and conmands outI will leave the networking till later.
    One thing I am not sure about should the computers be on and then have to wait until asked to connect the router lead are made small point but better be safe than sorry, thanks again
    Travelman.:confused:

4. phrac macrumors member

phrac

On a KVM switch you should be able plug the keyboard, mouse and monitor into the "output ports". The switch should have came with cables that run from the switch to each of your computers. Plug those in.

When you boot one computer, it should be "active" on the switch. What I mean is select the computer that is booting on the switch so that it will recognize the keyboard, mouse, etc. Then you can switch over to the other computer and boot it up so it too will recognize the keyboard video mouse. After both are booted up you should be able to switch back and forth to them.

5. travelman thread starter macrumors newbie

Belkin Switch

Hi Phrac.
    Thanks for your help I have now connected the switch and all seemed OK except I am unable to use the Keyboard or Mouse for the Mac the Pc is running oK though, I have tried the mouse lead in various usb ports but what maybe the problem is my key hoard has a serial connection do you think this could the cause.
    I do have a USB cordless keyboard somewhere, but is there a setting that needs altering? . I am trying to use the PC keyboard hope thats correct. I do not seem to have a connection from my Mac for the keyboard to switch is that a cause, Sorry if the info is a bit jumbled.
    I have now re connected the leads as per instructions from Belkin but bear in mind please I cannot access the Mac other than the Log on Apple page as things are.
    yours
    travelman