How can I control iTunes using keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swmr, Feb 16, 2008.

1. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Well? How can I control iTunes using my keyboard? I have a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse that I have had for a few years and I LOVE them both. When I first bought them, I plugged it in and it worked great. I never installed the recommended software because they only added useless programs, and the plug and play option is more convenient.

During the first few months, the keyboard shortcuts (mute, volume, skip, play/pause, stop, eject, etc) worked great in Winamp and WMP. At this time I did not use iTunes. When I made the switch to iTunes in November of 2006, when I bought an iPod, I started using only iTunes and all of the keyboard shortcuts still worked great. Then after some iTunes update (possibly to 7.0?) the shortcuts stopped working unless I was specifically in the iTunes program. Before this, I was able to use the shortcuts even if I was using Firefox or even in WoW. The buttons still triggered iTunes to switch. This was extremely convenient and I really do miss it.

The switch was made many months ago, and not until today did I realize somebody here may be able to help me. Any ideas? Oh yea, I am using a XP machine as specced in my sig. NOT a mac (yet).

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

just use FrontRow.. Press cmd-esc.

use arrows, enter, esc to control, v'easy, nice to look at (much nicer to look at than iTunes)

James

3. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i don't know about with xp but when you do make the switch to mac, the program quicksilver has an itunes module plugin that lets you set all the custom triggers you could want giving you the ability to control itunes while in any other program

4. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

Thanks for the info. Those commands do work in XP (swap ctrl for cmd) but only if I am already in iTunes. I'll be switching to a mac when I buy my laptop for college, so most likely when the new MBP updates come out. I guess I won't have to worry about it after that.

5. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

If you still worry about it when you got your MBP, have a look at Synergy. No XP version, though.