Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanleystf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
I have some audiobooks and podcasts in MP3 format. How can I copy them from my Macbook onto my Iphone and listen to them when my phone is not connected to the Internet?

Is there a player on Iphone that remembers the last position of the audio file? Because these audiobooks are several hours long and I can't listen to them in one go.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Go to the Books app on your Mac. Go to All, then drag your MP3 files into the Mac app.

Connect Mac to iPhone either via a cable or via wifi. Go to your phone in Finder.

Then go to audiobooks. Choose from the sync options. Apply.

Listen to your MP3 files on the phone using the Books app on the phone.

Your place will be saved. Your place will even be synced via cloud between the Mac and iPhone (when it works, and you need to turn on sync Reading Now on iPhone settings under Books).

You can also listen in different playback speeds.

Last edited:

stanleystf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
Go to the Books app on my Mac. Go to All, then drag your MP3 files into the Mac app.

Connect Mac to iPhone either via a cable or via wifi. Go to your phone in Finder.

Then go to audiobooks. Choose from the sync options. Apply.

Listen to your MP3 files on the phone using the Books app on the phone.

Your place will be saved. Your place will even be synced via cloud between the Mac and iPhone (when it works, and you need to turn on sync Reading Now on iPhone settings under Books).

You can also listen in different playback speeds.
Thank you! This was super helpful.

How can I transfer mp3 music files from Macbook to phone? I went to the music tab and choose sync all music but only two songs were copied on my Iphone. My music files don't have tags (the name of the album and artist, ect).

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Thank you! This was super helpful.

How can I transfer mp3 music files from Macbook to phone? I went to the music tab and choose sync all music but only two songs were copied on my Iphone. My music files don't have tags (the name of the album and artist, ect).
For music mp3 files, use the Music app on the Mac and do something similar.

Open Music app on the Mac. On the left sidebar go to Recent Music (other places might also work, but I do it here).

Drag your mp3 music files into the app.

You can edit your meta info here, including adding album art. Select a file or album that you have added and choose "get info".

From here I am not sure what it will be like for you. I am an Apple Music subscriber and my mp3 files sync via cloud at this point and I will see them on my phone. If this doesn't happen for you, you might need to sync using the method I showed you for audiobooks.

Reactions: stanleystf

stanleystf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
Open Music app on the Mac. On the left sidebar go to Recent Music (other places might also work, but I do it here).

Drag your mp3 music files into the app.

You can edit your meta info here, including adding album art. Select a file or album that you have added and choose "get info".

From here I am not sure what it will be like for you. I am an Apple Music subscriber and my mp3 files sync via cloud at this point and I will see them on my phone. If this doesn't happen for you, you might need to sync using the method I showed you for audiobooks.
Apparently, the Music app on Mac only recognizes Mp3 files that have some "tags". It's strange because it doesn't recognize mp3 files that don't have tags.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.