How can I create a "generic" 10.9 installer?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JPamplin, Apr 1, 2014.

1. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Hi folks,

I would like to create a Mavericks installer that is not tied to my Apple ID. I rebuild Macs for friends, and if I use the copy of 10.9 that I registered under my ID, then go into the App Store to "re-purchase" 10.9 under my friend's Apple ID, it asks for MY ID and password.

I'd rather have them "buy" it, so I need a 10.9 installer that isn't tied to me. Any way to do this?

JP

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. JPamplin thread starter macrumors 6502

JPamplin

That's the problem - THAT is precisely what I used. But it embedded my Apple ID into the installer.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

A standalone installer built from that doesn't embed an Apple ID. Presumably it's finding another copy of the .app installer somewhere on the computer and trying to replace that.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Odd, it didn't for me.

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Just pulling the .dmg out of the installer doesn't work?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not possible since that download is not tied to your AppleID. You need an AppleID to do the download, but the file itself is the same for everybody. This has been verified by comparing MD5 or SHA hashes for the file.

You have something else going on.

If you make that installer then erase the entire drive (not just Macintosh HD) and install from the USB key you will have an install not tied to any AppleID. If the user ever goes to reinstall they will be prompted for an AppleID that has been used to "purchase" Mavericks.

So after the Mavs install your friend needs to go to the App Store and "purchase" Mavs under their AppleID so they can use that is they ever want to reinstall.