How can I create iCal events without having iCal open?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reubs, Nov 9, 2010.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I try not to have iCal running because I've got the Dateline app that stays on my desktop. Mousing over that will give me appts and such as I need to have them.

I've found, that opening iCal and messing with the input screen for a new event is kind of cumbersome, and I'm wondering if folks have found a good way to create new iCal events w minimal interaction with iCal itself.

Today 2.5 offers this as a feature, but it's $25. Macworld also had a tip, but running that Automator action opens up iCal in the background.

Are there any other solutions out there?

2. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks; that's not exactly what I had in mind. I'm still not sure Today is worth it just for my simple needs.

What I'm looking for would be so much easier if Snow Leopard offered data detectors across the whole OS and not just Mail.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I am sooo on board with this and wish for it myself.

5. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I just found iDeskCal as a half-price alternative to Dateline. I haven't tried it yet, though, b/c I'm halfway through my trial with Today. Once that trial is up, though, I'm going to give it a try.

It claims to offer "Create new events" options, and if it handles it like Today, then iCal doesn't even have to be open. I found that with Today I can create an event and it will upload to my Google calendar (using BusySync) without ever even opening iCal. Hopefully iDeskCal does the same thing.

6. Mav3067 macrumors member

7. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks; I just tried that, but it made it the event a half hour later and I couldn't specify the calendar I wanted to use. I was looking for that hint earlier, so thanks for pointing it out. It might be easier to do that regardless, so I'll keep playing with it.

8. shirokuma98 macrumors newbie

making numerous events for one date in ical

Hello,
    I am seeking help in creating more than one event in ical. Example;

karen=chris
    avice=megan
    tess=angles
    karen pm=olive

I want all the above inputed at one time.I know I can do it indvidually but it is time consuming and tedious. I also want to automate to non consecutive dates.

shirokuma