How can I delete a bogus Calendar "event"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lylemo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. lylemo macrumors member

I have a Calendar "event" for March2, 2018 which reads "Holi". When expanded, it is shown to be an all-day "US Holiday" and there isn't any apparent way to delete it. I have no idea how it got there. It wasn't present in 2017 and doesn't show up in 2019. Is there a way to delete it?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

What calendar is it in...your personal, the holiday calendar or some other?

3. lylemo thread starter macrumors member

The Calendars I have checked are: Home, Calendar, Birthdays, US Holidays. After the US Holidays (sidebar), there is a black triangle with an exclamation point in it: it says Calendar "couldn't be refreshed...there was an unexpected error". It seems i can get rid of "Holi" by unchecking US Holidays, but that gets rid of the whole year's worth.

4. Kekinash macrumors member

It's part of the US Holidays calendar by default in Mac OS and iOS, you can't delete a event from this calendar but you can unsubscribe (Mac OS) or unselect it (iOS) and all US holidays will go including this one. It's all or nothing, I am afraid.

5. lylemo thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'll have to live with it. BTW, there others who are experiencing the same thing. FWIT, I tried posting this Apple Support Communities, and they said they couldn't post the content of my query...no further explanation!

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Sounds like some sort of minor corruption in your calendar files. The solution could be to nuke your user calendar files if all of your calendars are synced to iCloud or another service.

You could just uncheck "Show Holidays calendar" in Calendar>Preferences…>General and subscribe to a different holiday calendar...like Google's.

7. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

No corruption. As others have pointed out, it's coming from the holiday calendar. Holi is a Hindu holiday. It looks like Apple has added a number of non-Christian holidays (or has always been there: I don't subscribe to the holiday calendar) to the US holiday calendar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holi

8. lylemo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Brian...may try what you suggested. Hard to understand why Apple doesn't allow deletion of an individual holiday.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

You are correct...and we have been educated. It's not on the default Google "Holidays in United States"...that's for sure.

10. lylemo thread starter macrumors member

NoBoMac...if Apple added this to a holiday list, it should be showing up in 2019 calendar, which it isn't.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nope, it’s just a holiday...or a ...holi...day.......

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

13. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

Something wrong on your end:

Attached Files:

14. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Apparently one of those holidays that isn't on the same day every year

15. MC6800 macrumors 6502

I subscribe to the old webcal://ical.mac.com/ical/US32Holidays.ics calendar which does not include Holi. I noticed that if I turn on Calendar>Preferences>General>Show Holidays calendar, I get Holi showing on a second "US Holidays" calendar.