How can I delete plist files?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by GPWarner, Jan 11, 2017.

1. GPWarner macrumors newbie

I've been trying to create a Blu-ray DVD using Roxio Toast 14 but the software is misbehaving. I read in another forum to remove all Toast files, current and previous, and reinstall.

I used to be able to go to my Library and delete plists but I can't see how to in Sierra.

Hope someone can help.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

You can't delete plist files in Sierra due to System Integrity Protection. To disable SIP you'll need to go through the recovery partition.

However you needn't jump through all those hoops to completely delete an application. To completely delete an application, drag it from the Applications folder into AppCleaner, which can be downloaded here: https://freemacsoft.net/downloads/AppCleaner_3.4.zip

This will delete all related files, plist included, and is the quickest way to completely remove an application that I know of. It also carries much less risk than searching for and deleting the files yourself.

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

that's incorrect; you can delete plist files, easily, in sierra. in your home library (in the Finder, hold option, click on the Go menu, go to Library>Preferences) you can delete the Toast plist file(s).

in the main library, go to preferences, delete the Toast plist. in that folder, you will need to type in your mac password.

done.

4. GPWarner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.