How can I delete this file without a password?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 1357mackoob, Oct 26, 2010.

1. 1357mackoob macrumors newbie

A couple times now, I've tried to copy DVDs onto my computer, then realize they won't work. I think it's because I copied the files and not the movie, but that's not the issue. The issue is, when I go to delete them, I can't. My parents have kept a password on my computer since I got it about three years ago. It's a rare occasion when they take the password off for a few days. Under those circumstances, when the password is off, I can delete the file without any issue. But when the password is on, I can't even move the file to the trash. It keeps asking for a password. I can't even move it to a different folder. It's just sitting on my desktop, taking up space. There's not even anything in it, because I stopped the copying only seconds after it started.

My question is, how can I get around the password to delete this file? I can't restart my computer or anything, because I'll need a password to do that. I need some trick that will bypass the password and get it into the trash. And deleted from the trash, if possible. Please, some tricks would be most welcome right now.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're not on an administrator account to begin with you're not going to be able to do much.

3. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Just ask your parents that you need the password to delete the specific file. I'm sure they won't mind.

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Start the terminal app. It is in the utilities folder. cd to the directory where the file is. type rm filename. If you want to know what rm does type man rm.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

How is this going to get around the ACL permission?

6. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

As another user said I don't see why you can't just ask your parents for the password, or if they won't give it to you, just show them what you want deleted and get them to do it for you. I'm not saying you do, but it seems like you installed something you don't want them to see......adult movie perhaps?? You also say you can't restart because you need a password as well? Sounds like you need to have a talk with your parents and tell/show them you can be trusted, because they obviously have trust issues with you. They can customize the computers parental features pretty well, so I don't see why they have given you such complete limited functionality like not even be able to restart it?