How can I disable 2 cores on a Hex 3.33 2010 MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by guillemilkyway, Sep 1, 2010.

1. guillemilkyway macrumors newbie

I've just purchased a Hex 3.33 MP. I use it basically with Logic 9.

1.- After reading many posts, I know that Logic 9 performs way better disabling 2 of the 6 cores, but I don't know how to do that. Can someone tell me how can I disable these two cores.

2.- Also I would like to know which is best to get the best performance out of Logic 9: to disable HT or to leave HT enabled and disable 2 cores.

I would be really thankful if someone can help on this...

2. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

I don't know about HT, and I don't receive my MacPro until tomorrow (can't wait), but included in the Xcode Developer package is a CPU preferencepane. When it is installed it lets me disable one core on my dual-core Macbook Pro (June 2009, Core 2 Duo)

Attached Files:

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

IF you want to disable cores, you need to install Xcode and then install the processor prefpane at Developer —> Extras —> Preference Panes

4. guillemilkyway thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll install XCode tomorrow and see if there is an improvement in Logic 9 performance.

Anyone knows how to disable HT?

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I zipped and attached prefpane for you, easier then dragging down 3GB

it will let you disable HT also

Attached Files:

6. CyCoPaTh macrumors newbie

I've got a Hex 3.33 MP on its way to me now and am looking to use Logic 9 also - I'd be curious to know your results, i.e. does disabling two cores like this make it function like a 4-core with HyperThreading and improve performance?

Thanks!

7. mackenziemac macrumors newbie

This id odd why would it run faster with less cores? Does anyone know if FCP can utilize 6-cores? 8-Cores?

8. guillemilkyway thread starter macrumors newbie

fantastic!!! thanks so much.

CyCoPaTh i'll let you know my results..., but, yeah, disabling two cores will more than probably make it function like a 4-core with HyperThreading....

9. fearoftigers macrumors member

Did you manage to test this out - does it work any better?

10. Khendal macrumors member

I've tried to run processor but i got an error... i think for the 32 bit thing...could you help me to setup right the mac pro ?

Thanks

11. snouter macrumors 6502a

May try holding down the 3 and the 2 keys when you boot up?

That will force it to boot into 32-bit mode.

12. milo macrumors 604

Yes it does, multiple users have verified this.

Looks like Logic was only coded to support 4/8 cores, and running it on six actually runs worse than a quad core machine. Turning off two cores improves performance a lot. In short, apple really needs to get their act together and get a logic release that fixes this out the door.

With the pref pane, it will pop up a message saying that the pane is only 32 bit and that it needs to restart system prefs. Just hit OK and then change the setting, it works fine despite the message.

13. CyCoPaTh macrumors newbie

Good news - many thanks.

14. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

It's really lame that Apple lets things like this get out. A lot of Logic users are also Mac Pro users. You would think they would do some performance tests with the two. It's the first thing all the new owners did and the flaw was spotted almost immediately. We better not have to wait for Logic 10 for a fix.

15. Ravich macrumors 6502a

If you have the time, please do call Apple support and explain the issue. They need to be hearing it.

16. guillemilkyway thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been working a little bit with the 6-core, with and without disabling these two cores. Can't give you any numbers, because haven't had the time to run proper pro tests, but you don't need the numbers. Difference in perforamnce is amazing. If you guys have a 6-core and run Logic, don't hesitate to disable 2 cores. At least until Apple gets Logic prepared por these new machines. It's kinda' sad...

17. fearoftigers macrumors member

18. guillemilkyway thread starter macrumors newbie

19. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

ha, a pref pane like that makes me think apple can easily make a pref pane to change clock speed if they wanted...

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You can disable the 2 cores by trading it in for the 3.2GHz model. :D

21. guillemilkyway thread starter macrumors newbie

definitely. i regret it now.... only hoping some kind of logic update sometime soon.. not very hopeful though....

22. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Ah

Like last nights Pro Update?

Anyone with a hexacore want to try again and get back to us how it works with all cores on?

23. fearoftigers macrumors member

What update was this?

24. fearoftigers macrumors member

Ok I've just seen the update it is downloading now.

But now I can't two the two extra core back on. When I navigate to the preference pane as in the post above and click to open it it says - "You can't install processor pref pane because it is already installed"

Any ideas how I can edit it?

25. milo macrumors 604

The Pro Apps update last night didn't update Logic at all. Logic Studio was only mentioned because Compressor was updated, which comes with that package.