How can I disable Flip4Mac and use Windows Media Player?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by srowndedbyh2o, May 23, 2009.

1. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

Anyone know how to disable Flip4Mac and QuickTime so that I can use Windows Media Player 9? I need to use WMP9 on a couple of websites that do not work with Flip4Mac/QuickTime. Previously I had just opened the “WMV Upgrade” that is in the Flip4Mac folder and unchecked “Use Flip4Mac WMV Browser plug-in” and then relaunched Safari. But now even when I uncheck Flip4Mac, it, and QuickTime continue to open.
    I'm using a new iMac with OS X 10.5.6.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Flip4Mac uses QuickTime Player to play wmv videos on the desktop but has its own browser plug-in to play files in Safari.

what is the website that you are having trouble playing wmv videos?

3. MacTech68, May 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Make sure the old MS plugin is there:

Windows Media Plugin

inside /Library/Internet Plug-ins/

or

inside /Library/Internet Plug-ins/Disabled Plug-Ins/

The switch in WMV Preference panel moves the plugin in and out of the "Disabled Plug-ins" folder.

And remember to force your browser to run in Rosetta since the old plugin isn't Intel savvy.
    ________
    smoking kills

4. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

The websites are subscription based, so you won’t be able to try and play their movies.

/
    There was a Windows Media Plugin in both the Internet Plug-ins folder and Disabled folders.

How would I go about doing that?

This is what I don’t understand. Why it worked the first time, but no longer will. What other setting could have changed that I’m not aware of?

5. MacTech68, May 24, 2009

MacTech68

Ok, you need to delete one of the "Windows Media Plugins"

Check the WMV preference and set it to use Flip4Mac in your browser.

Now, delete the "Windows Media Plugin" found inside /Library/Internet Plug-ins/

Next, to run your browser in Rosette, quit your browser, then go to your Applications folder and click on the browser and select "Get Info" from the "File" menu. Put a tick in the small check-box that says "Open using Rosetta."

Go back to the WMV preference and de-select "Use Flip4Mac WMV Browser Plug-in"

That should do it.
    ________
    A platform

6. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

MacTech68. Thanks for the tip on the Plug-ins folder. When I went back and took another look, I saw that I also had a Flip4Mac Plugin in both the “active” folder and the disabled folder. I discarded the “extra” plugins, leaving the WMP plugin in the “active” folder, and the Flip4Mac plugin in the Disabled folder, and it now is working great.:) When I click on a movie, the sites own media player opens, then a Safari prompt window opens stating that “Safari can’t display content on this page”. I click “OK” and then WMP opens and plays the movie. I ended up not needing to do the Rosetta thing.
    I tried to duplicate this process with my old iMac PPC G5, but I can not get it to work on that computer. WMP just won’t launch. Anyone have a clue as to why it’s not working with the G5? Maybe it’s an Intel / PPC thing? :confused:

7. MacTech68, May 26, 2009

MacTech68

The reason Safari can't display the content is because it can't run the Windows Media Player plugin. Safari then hands it over to the external application "Windows Media Player". If you try the Rosetta switch then it should be able to play the video inside the browser but if your happy for it to use an external application then that's fine.

The G5 being PPC won't need the Rosetta switch but all I can suggest is to re-install Windows Media Player and Flip4Mac (watching for duplicated plugins as above). It should work, but perhaps the mime-types have been set to other (un-installed) applications. Re-installing both might fix that.

:)
    ________
    mflb