Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnR101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I have a late 2009 MBP and I would like to disable the webcam. I asked this on another forum but the users weren't too well-versed with Macs so they re-directed me to this forum. They said something about the driver for the webcam but also said it might not help. Here is the issue:

Somehow I think I was hacked and some videos of myself (along with sound) doing private activities (sleeping, changing, studying, etc.) were shared with certain individuals. Obviously I reported this to the authorities but they seem to be doing nothing about it.

I never use the webcam on the MBP, but now I put a piece of duct tape over it. However, this looks very unpleasing and was trying to figure out a cleaner solution but was wondering first if I could disable the webcam entirely first. I've never used it to take pictures/record videos/webcam chat at all so I don't really need it. The other forum I asked on said that if a hacker was skilled enough to remotely enable my webcam/microphone, they could probably re-install the driver as well. They told me to ask on here where people are more familiar with Macs, so here I am.

Any suggestions?

kirk.davis

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2006
I have a late 2009 MBP and I would like to disable the webcam. I asked this on another forum but the users weren't too well-versed with Macs so they re-directed me to this forum. They said something about the driver for the webcam but also said it might not help. Here is the issue:

Somehow I think I was hacked and some videos of myself (along with sound) doing private activities (sleeping, changing, studying, etc.) were shared with certain individuals. Obviously I reported this to the authorities but they seem to be doing nothing about it.

I never use the webcam on the MBP, but now I put a piece of duct tape over it. However, this looks very unpleasing and was trying to figure out a cleaner solution but was wondering first if I could disable the webcam entirely first. I've never used it to take pictures/record videos/webcam chat at all so I don't really need it. The other forum I asked on said that if a hacker was skilled enough to remotely enable my webcam/microphone, they could probably re-install the driver as well. They told me to ask on here where people are more familiar with Macs, so here I am.

Any suggestions?

Stop wan*ing in front of your computer?!?!? :confused:

Sorry, someone was going to say it :)

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
"IF" you were hacked. Slow them down by blocking all connections in security in your system preferences pane. :) That will not let anyone or anything through. Do you have any of the sharing options checked in sharing pane? If so uncheck them. Do you let "questionable" people use your computer? That might have something to do with it. Hope I was somewhat helpful.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Have you given anyone physical access to your Mac, or have you installed any software from less than reputable sources? Also, do you only suspect that images were shared with others, or did you actually see such images? It's pretty rare that a Mac user would be hacked remotely, or at all.

Putting tape over the lens is the simplest method and you can use any color tape to make it look better. I wouldn't start disabling features of your Mac without solid proof that a hack had actually occurred. I wouldn't accept anyone's word that you were hacked. Get proof.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Did you install software you didn't pay for or click on random links from emails or shady web sites? Did you install any "video codecs"?

You can open up your Mac and disconnect the camera from the logic board altogether.

See this link, it's not that hard.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Display/1725/1

Step 7 should do the trick.

If the person think he / she is "hacked" on a Mac then the person is unable to do something like that.

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
A) If your sleeping, you turn your computer off/or sleep it. They cannot view your webcam,
B) If your wanking, and you see the green light turn on. GTFO, somones creeping

JohnR101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
"IF" you were hacked. Slow them down by blocking all connections in security in your system preferences pane. :) That will not let anyone or anything through. Do you have any of the sharing options checked in sharing pane? If so uncheck them. Do you let "questionable" people use your computer? That might have something to do with it. Hope I was somewhat helpful.
I'd prefer taking the hardware route, and I'm very, very paranoid now. I still need to use the internet though, so I can't block everything :p

No, no sharing options are checked. I'm the only one using this laptop unless someone is breaking into my apartment and secretly using it but I don't really suspect that...but it's something to consider...

But thanks for the advice anyway.

Have you given anyone physical access to your Mac, or have you installed any software from less than reputable sources? Also, do you only suspect that images were shared with others, or did you actually see such images? It's pretty rare that a Mac user would be hacked remotely, or at all.

Putting tape over the lens is the simplest method and you can use any color tape to make it look better. I wouldn't start disabling features of your Mac without solid proof that a hack had actually occurred. I wouldn't accept anyone's word that you were hacked. Get proof.
Again, I don't share this laptop with anyone, I leave it at home (I live alone) so unless someone is breaking into my home just to access my laptop I think that's less likely.

I can't say for sure about installing shady software...not that I can think of; I don't download too many things. I mostly browse the internet and visit a ton of sites so maybe it was a link I clicked or something, I'm not sure. I don't think it was random though because the vids were shared amongst a group of people I know online, who in turn showed me (which is how I was notified and what prompted my paranoia).

I'm not sure how to get proof...I've already re-installed Snow Leopard to get rid of whatever it was, but now that I think about it, maybe there was some logs or something that someone technical could've analyzed...ugh...

Oh well, as long as I have tape I feel relatively safe. I don't really mind the mic since I don't talk to myself at home, but is there a way to disable that too?

Edit: Okay, I think the hardware solutions to my problems that I have been looking for have been answered thus so far...Thank you all

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
If the person think he / she is "hacked" on a Mac then the person is unable to do something like that.

How do you figure? Are you implying that unauthorized access to a Mac is impossible? Or are you implying that the OP is unable to twist a few screws?

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
whenever the camera is in use the green light will be on, and why do you leave your mbp open? start closing the lid.

JohnR101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
A) If your sleeping, you turn your computer off/or sleep it. They cannot view your webcam,
B) If your wanking, and you see the green light turn on. GTFO, somones creeping
whenever the camera is in use the green light will be on, and why do you leave your mbp open? start closing the lid.
Maybe I am blind, but I don't notice any green light other than the one on the power cord...where does the green light illuminate from?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't really mind the mic since I don't talk to myself at home, but is there a way to disable that too?
System Preferences > Sound > Output > Output Volume > Mute
Maybe I am blind, but I don't notice any green light other than the one on the power cord...where does the green light illuminate from?
It's not visible unless it's on. Launch Photo Booth to turn on your cam and you'll see it right next to the cam. There's no way for the cam to be on without the light.

ddoolin0

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011

That's a pretty naive opinion, as the OPs definition of "hacked" is probably even more broad than you're taking it to be, and most of us picked up on this. Either way, Macs are in no way uncrackable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.