Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I'm running OS X Tiger 10.4.11 with the latest iTunes fully updated. I'm on a mac mini PPC 1.5GHz. I keep the music library on an external drive, but iTunes itself on my mini. I've imported some 1000 CDs so far ripped with iTunes Apple Lossless format.

Every so often, a CD is not found in the internet database iTunes checks. Sometimes it's because the CD is some obscure label I picked up on one of my travels, or it's a compilation CD I did myself years ago, or sometimes for whatever reason a CD is just not picked up by the database. Well, whenever this happens, iTunes tells me that the CD could not be found online, and do I want to import it anyway. When I say "yes", then iTunes adds it to the library - and this is where the problem starts.

In such a case a folder is made on the external drive called "Unknown Artist" with a folder within called "Unknown Album". I immediately go in, and change the name on the "Unknown Artist" and "Unknown Album", so that at least on the external hard drive (where my music files library resides), I can tell which artist/album it is instead of "Unknown" - I don't bother writing the tracks otherwise this would be a years long project.

Problem - when iTunes shows the Music library, all the tracks from "unknown" albums and artists are collected in one giant group where you can't make out which is which. In other words, iTunes does not recognize the name change I make in the folder on my external hard drive.

Now, how do I get iTunes to show names of the artist and the album when importing a CD it can't find online? I've tried going in and altering the properties (Get Info) of a track - and that works, but I can't possibly do this for every single track - it would take me years. Impossible. So, what I need is just some global way, in which when I import an "unknown" CD I can immediately label the whole collection of tracks by Artist and Album. Otherwise, I have no idea what the various ten Track #1's are and where do they belong.

How do I do this in iTunes? TIA!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Make all changes via iTunes and you should be fine. Before you import, select all the tracks and press COMMAND-I. Change the Artist to whatever you like and then the tracks should be imported into a folder by the same name. Is that what you're after or did I misinterpret? :eek:

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Mad Jew, that's exactly correct. That's what I wanted. It's so simple, yet I didn't see it - didn't realize I could batch edit... I was confused by the dialog immediately asking to import - obviously I should say NO, batch edit, and after that, only then import the CD... I'm embarrassed - so obvious :eek:

And a BIG THANK YOU to the very kind and helpful Mad Jew!!!

martyrk

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
In Lab
Now if I change anything under itunes, like a song title has the artist and the name of the song in it. I go ahead and right click change it to the right Title and Change the blank artist to the correct artist, does that stay with the song? or if I transfer that song to my laptop, am I going to have to do that again under itunes?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Now if I change anything under itunes, like a song title has the artist and the name of the song in it. I go ahead and right click change it to the right Title and Change the blank artist to the correct artist, does that stay with the song? or if I transfer that song to my laptop, am I going to have to do that again under itunes?

Generally it stays with the song, with the only exception being artwork downloaded from Apple which is stored in a separate database on your HDD. Play Counts, Dates and Ratings are not stored in the file.

Just convert any MP3s with ID3V1 tags to a more useful version of ID3. This can be done within iTunes.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.