How can I do this when im self hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by waloshin, Sep 3, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am self hosting my website and therefor dont have an email server setup. So my fanpage at waloshin.com./fan page wont email new users their password, because there is no email server, I assume. I am using wordpress so what can I do?

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

WordPress should use the built in PHP mail function on your web host. If it's not working, then possibly it's disabled or not configured correctly. I would check your hosting company's documentation and/or raise a ticket with them.

3. whatsgooddan macrumors member

You will have to install sendmail, exim or other mail server, configure PHP mail to use this mail server, and configure it to send mail. This can be confusing and messy. You may also have problems sending email due to issues with your internet service provider. This shouldn't be a big problem if you are using a VPS.

An easier way to send mail with PHP is through the PHP-Pear Mail extension. With this, you can actually send mail though any email account, provided you give the login info. No easy way to get this done with Wordpress. Have a look at the source code or see if there is a plugin for this.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

?

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Self hosting in respect of WordPress means that you're hosting a WP install on your "own" server as opposed to at wordpress.com. Your "own" server could be literally that, or a shared hosting package, or a VPS, or whatever.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Thank you for the clarification. I was lost from the beginning then.

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am self hosting from my house. On my own server .

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Fixed plugin: WP-Mail-SMTP

Did the trick just used my google account.

9. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting the solution. I've not yet needed to use external / SMTP mail from WP, but that looks like a nice plugin if I do.