how can i do this with my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acrahm, Sep 16, 2008.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

I want to print wirelessly and listen to itunes from an external HD wirelessly also

is it possible to do both?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

yeah, get a powered USB hub and an airport extreme.

3. StayAlive macrumors newbie

Do you already have a wireless router? What model is it? If you do, then just connect your printer to your router. There should be specific instructions in your printer's manual.

4. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Im not sure its that easy. If you have a router that has a USB port like an Airport Extreme, you can do it easily. If your router has only ethernet ports, then you need to find an ethernet (network) printer and a network attached HDD.
    I personally had a Linksys router with only ethernet ports, I picked up the Airport Extreme because of the USB port. It was a great choice. I hooked up a USB hub, then connected my USB printer and Drobo to the hub and everything is great. I can stream my iTunes music to my MBP like its local. I can print from anywhere in the house no issues at all. However, the one drawback in the lack of printer utilities when hooked up to the network. So once in a while I simply walk over to the printer and check the ink tanks. No big deal.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you get a printer with built-in networking, it should work with utilities like that. Just FFT.

6. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Thats true too. I just cant seem to part with my Canon i9100. THat thing really does some high quality pics.

7. Habusho macrumors 6502

Easiest thing to do would be to just get an Airport Extreme base station and hook that up to your printer, HD.

8. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

how does this do both at once with only 1 usb?

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

that's just how USB works. You just have to plug in a USB hub that has its own power supply.

10. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

I picked up this guy to go under my AEBS... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817394017

matches the footprint perfectly, looks really nice together. This one comes with a power supply but Ive actually used it unplugged without an issue. I keep it plugged in though just in case.