Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I've installed GPGTools and created a public and secret key.

But how do I encrypt a folder using Terminal?

I have tried:

gpg -e filename foldername

But that doesn't work.

Also tried going into the folder I want to encrypt and typing:

gpg -e * filename

But that doesn't work either :(

What is the proper command to encrypt a whole folder please?

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Just curious, why do you want to do it that way?

Please stay on topic as my explanation will go of topic, I have my reasons. PGPtools also zips the files when encrypting etc, and I have many other reasons why I want to use the Terminal command.

So please, stay on topic, do you know the Terminal command to encrypt a folder?

Anyone?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Please stay on topic as my explanation will go of topic, I have my reasons. PGPtools also zips the files when encrypting etc, and I have many other reasons why I want to use the Terminal command.

So please, stay on topic, do you know the Terminal command to encrypt a folder?

Anyone?

Nah, I guess not.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Did you try contacting GPGTools support directly? If anyone would know how to do it, it'd be them.

I would use GPGtools to encrypt, but the process takes a lot longer than Terminal would, GPGtools annyingly also zips up every folder before encrypting as well:(

I know how to decrypt a file:

gpg -d -o file.zip file.gpg

But I cannot gpg to encrypt a folder:( Whatever command I tries it fails:( I can encrypt a single file no problems, I just type: gpg -e filename

But how on earth do I tell gpg to encrypt an entire folder?

I keep getting error like this:

gpg: Videos/: read error: Is a directory
gpg: Videos/: encryption failed: Is a directory

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Did you try contacting GPGTools support directly? If anyone would know how to do it, it'd be them.

I would use GPGtools to encrypt, but the process takes a lot longer than Terminal would, GPGtools annyingly also zips up every folder before encrypting as well:(

I know how to decrypt a file:

gpg -d -o file.zip file.gpg

But I cannot gpg to encrypt a folder:( Whatever command I tries it fails:( I can encrypt a single file no problems, I just type: gpg -e filename

But how on earth do I tell gpg to encrypt an entire folder?

See the Mods reply..

Go to their forums. They are fairly robust and you would probably get a better and quicker answer there.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
tar cf - FolderName/ | gpg --encrypt --armor --recipient endafarrell@email.com | gzip --best > FolderName.tar.asc.gz

Encrypted content should by definition have a pretty high level of entropy, meaning compressing it isn't likely to help a whole lot. I'd recommend either compressing the initial data or not bothering with compression.

endafarrell

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
Encrypted content should by definition have a pretty high level of entropy, meaning compressing it isn't likely to help a whole lot. I'd recommend either compressing the initial data or not bothering with compression.

@Mikael H A small dir of JPGs was 12MB before gzipping, 9MB after. It's generally recommended to test your circumstances, see what works out given the data and options used. I suspect (but haven't tested) that the "--armor" option is contributing to this.

Reactions: Mikael H

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
@Mikael H A small dir of JPGs was 12MB before gzipping, 9MB after. It's generally recommended to test your circumstances, see what works out given the data and options used. I suspect (but haven't tested) that the "--armor" option is contributing to this.
That was interesting. Yes, real-life testing is the best way to get definite answers, but not always practical. I'm glad I was wrong in your case. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.