How can I enhance my Macbook experience?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maccie13, Dec 9, 2011.

1. maccie13 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone :)

I've been using my first ever MacBook since a few months now and I am not finding myself using it to its fullest of capabilities. I've been only indulging into the ordinary social networking and listening to music and its got me wondering that if I only wanted to do all that, why did I buy a Mac?
    If someone asks me, "What's the cool stuff you know on your Macbook?", I don't know what to show! I'm now getting a feeling that I'm wasting the opportunity of being a Macbook user. So can someone please tell me what all I can do to make the most out of it? I don't mind playing games or doing something creative. I would love to know what are the best applications for passing your time? I wanted to learn GarageBand but it seems too complicated. Also, what is the use of applications like 'Front Row' and 'iChat' when you have iTunes and Facetime already!
    I haven't touched even half the applications given with the macbook. Basically the transition from a Windows desktop to a Macbook hasn't quite changed my usage. Only now, I cant play FIFA on the Macbook :(

2. Silmarien macrumors member

Why buy something you had no use for? Take the Mac back and buy a Kenneth Cole bag. You can brag about it all you want and its easy to use.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You have to answer that question. For many that's plenty enough. Why'd you buy in the first place if you didn't know what you were going to do with it? Rather than randomly asking for "cool stuff" (highly subjective) you need to provide us with what you consider to be cool and interesting if you want suggestions.

I'd also suggest focusing on what you find interesting, fun and useful rather than trying to find stuff to brag about. Not sure why people derive pride from buying products...

Bootcamp. There's something you can do.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Or parallels or vmware fusion, the new versions are a lot better than the old ones, i see a huge difference in gaming between parallels 5 and 7.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Sell it and buy a $200 netbook... or an iPad.

If you can't figure out what your computer is good for, then you don't actually need one.

7. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Well people buy things because they meet their needs. OP's needs in this case are checking Facebook and listening to music ... I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I use my Macbook Pro for Photoshop CS5, Adobe Lightroom 3, and running models in MATLAB because that's what I needed a computer for. It doesn't make my purchase any more worthy than OP's.

OP, you simply don't use computers for certain tasks and that's okay. Don't feel the need to justify your purchase. You bought a Macbook because you wanted one, don't feel the need to give anyone a valid reason to how you spend your money, it's your money after all.

8. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

for me when i switched this year it wasn't about what cool things it has, it was about the use and experience i get from using it. the gestures are a big thing i love when I'm reading on it and i can just swipe the page up, down or across, full screen browsing, dashboard, launchpad, the ease of the programs(coming from office to iWork) i love how simple a lot of the tasks are. you are probably doing things that you don't even know are doing that make it an enjoyable experience. just keep looking around. google or youtube cool things you can do on your mac. there are plenty of things you can do just wether or not you think they are cool.

just enjoy using your computer and you'll find things out

9. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Probably one of the most dumbest question ever asked.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Fail!

11. aCondor macrumors 6502

There is no hope.

I would suggest trying them.
    What would you like us to say? You want something like MS Paint?

Browse the App Store for something you like. Try out the programs that come standard on your Mac. If you haven't done this, and you are looking for other people to tell you what to do with your Macbook so you can get use out of it... what's the point? It's up to you!

12. sfoalex macrumors 6502

First of all, don't worry about what others say here. You wanted a Mac so you bought one. Back in the stone ages I bought a Commodore Vic 20. I had no need I knew of. I just wanted a computer. I was very excited to get it, but quickly grew to dislike it. The screen was character based, and only 19 characters across and 25 lines deep. I learned a little programming on it. Not too much but a little.

I later sold it and bought a Commodore 64. I started playing games on it. Loading them took a long while on my cassette drive. One year I saved for a year and managed to buy a $279 floppy disc drive. Loading apps then took 2 minutes rather than 20 minutes. I bought a modem and I met all kinds of interesting people from around the world. I turned into quite the pirate back then. I grew to feel very guilty about that. But I also learned a lot. I wrote a small BBS app. A friend wrote co-wrote a terminal app. And I learned about protocols like Steve Punter's Punter Protocol and XMODEM and so on.

Later I bought an Amiga 1000 for $2,499 with extra drive and CRT monitor. Was blown away by how awesome it was at the time. I learned more about modems and became an even more evil pirate. I was so good at it I got bored. I had thousands of apps and a good friend of mine with a Mac IIx was just coming out of art school. She drew the most amazing things. And I felt like I had wasted all my time and money to play games. Here she was creating art.

I bought Deluxe Paint II and started to learn to use it pretty well. After a while, I decided to build a PC. A 286, 12 MHz machine for the purpose of getting on IRC. I later attached it to a Unix terminal and started to learn a little UNIX.

Again I got bored and decided I didn't really need a computer. I sold it and about 5 years later built a 386 with 4MBs of RAM. I wanted to install UNIX on it but settled for Windows 3. For a while anyway. Then I started to get interested in how to network computers together. I bought some books on NetWare, which was the leading SERVER OS of the time and I later certified as a NetWare Engineer. I took a job as an entry level tech at a major drug company. Then I moved to a consulting company and after 9 years on the job I became the Director of Network Engineering. I massed a CNE, MCSE, CLP and a Sun Solaris Admin Certification. I became a SAN engineer and started building very large storage Area Networks. By 1999 I was a speaker at StorageTeck.

About this this time I bought another Mac, and started to teach myself about DVDs. By 2004 I wrote and published a book on DVD authoring and menu design. I published about 40 articles on scripting for DVDs. I used my design skills for package design and combined it with my knowledge of DVDs and ended up working with a few huge companies creating, manufacturing and designing products based on DVDs and print.

I have a small lab where I work. I have DVD testing hardware and software, I've mastered thousands of DVDs, manufactured millions of them, and designed countless packages. I've flown all over the world and have business interests in Germany, Hong Kong, Taipei, New York, LA and San Francisco.

Everything I learned right down to programming modems has been useful to me along the way. Believe it or not, programming DVDs has something in common with IP protocols. Crazy huh? It's true. Modems are still used like crazy. You just don't know it. Your iPhone has one. Networking, hard drive arrays, lithography, DVD manufacturing and good computer skills have given me extraordinary control over my projects.

It all started with me buying a VIC20 for no other reason than I wanted one. Being curious about things is best asset you could ever hope to have. Even if you don't know it, you're experiencing something new. I never thought knowing UNIX would do a thing for me. Turns out I use it all the time. How in the world would lithography ever fold into DVDs? It does BIG TIME. Almost every skill I have is utilized all the time.

You've no idea how the things you learn today can and will help you in the future. I learned Photoshop, Illustrator and PageMaker back in 1994. Back then I had no reason to learn them. I just wanted to. When I was a technical consultant, I was the only one who could solve not just technical problem, but do so in a Mac environment and right down to the desktop apps like Quark. And that made me valuable. Virtually everyone at the time had just one learned skill. Learned from a book. They never understood how it all worked together.

I could build a SAN array, and start ingesting HD footage with Avid or Final Cut Pro myself. I could test the RS422 connection to lay off to tape. I wasn't part of a team.. I am the team.

Just be you. Play around with a rendering app. I used to use Cinema 4D. Learn a little photoshop or illustrator. Try your hand at making a little movie. Try to write a iPhone app. Try to re-create a print ad you see. Ask yourself how they did those graphics. Learn about type styles a little. There are so may things you can do today. But don't second guess yourself. Give yourself a little credit. You're exploring, and that is the first step into a bigger universe. Maybe even a multiverse. Maybe those crazy quantum theorists are on to something, eh?

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

nice book

14. VMMan macrumors 6502a

There are no boring computers, just boring users.

15. pat park macrumors 6502a

I've noticed you really seem to enjoy putting others down. Most of your posts are attacking or ridiculing somebody.

16. InTheUnion macrumors regular

InTheUnion

Wow, that was a pretty amazing post. You may have answered the question a little too well :eek:

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There's a reason he's on my ignore list...

jW

18. praetorx macrumors regular

Pretty much everything you can do on a platform you can do on another, you just have to look for either ports or substitutes.

As for games give Wine/Crossover/Wine a shot, can emulate MS Windows apps, games on Mac and Linux.

19. randomrazr macrumors 65816

dont use craigslist

so many scammers

kijiji ftw

20. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Stupidest???

21. Ansah macrumors newbie

Ansah

People are attracted to new things, places and ideas all the time without necessarily knowing why.

A computer is an amazing and powerful, even magical device. If I time traveled to, say, 1950, and told people that I had an appliance that served as a dictionary, typewriter, record player, radio, TV, adding machine, darkroom, tape recorder, newspaper, library, musical instrument, alarm clock, telephone, mail service, shopping center, chessboard, atlas, calendar, compass and telescope, people would definitely be interested in checking out this appliance (assuming they didn't dismiss me as crazy) regardless of what ideas they might have about what to do with it.

So what's wrong with purchasing a MacBook Pro and then asking about its possibilities and perhaps learn something interesting in the course of learning how to better use it? It's not a stupid question at all.

22. praetorx macrumors regular

He could ask and make informed decisions *before* making a $2000+ purchase because there's a chance he might not like it.

23. maccie13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

I agree it was a pretty dumb question but I just needed to ask and I'm glad that people are helping. Thank you all for your responses. Even those who called this stupid taught me a few things!

Thanks a lot! I think I should ask a few more questions like these, there's lots to be learned, apart from the Mac. ;)

24. snowydog macrumors 6502

If he has the money t spend on it then why not. He's bought a far more enjoyable computer than windows, even if he doesn't NEED it. Would you say the same to someone who chooses a big fancy car like a Lexus or Ferrari over a ford ka? They both do t he same thing, the driver isn't any more qualified than someone who drives a ka.

He obviously does like it and wants to use it to its full capabilities......and so he should, cos its a great computer...

OP you're money, we aren't here to judge who NEEDS a MBP, if you want one and can afford it, that's fine and if you wanna know how to utilize it to its full capability then ask right ahead....nothing wrong with that, despite some of the posts here.

25. WarpSpawn macrumors member

I can kind of relate to the OP on this one. I bought a Mac because my netbook was no longer meeting my needs and I had some hardware failures on a secondary desktop PC I was using. I wanted a new computer, but also wanted a decent quality one and felt that learning Mac OS would be beneficial to me. But although I am happy with my purchase and it meets or exceeds my expectations in just about every way, I do feel like I am barely scratching the surface. It seems like there is so much more I could be getting out of it and sfoalex's story is kind of inspiring, even if it is hard to know where to begin.