How Can I erase this?..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sdahe, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys..

How can I delete this files that appear when I want to open something... tha ones that are inside the yellow square...

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't want to delete them. They should be hidden files, managed by Mac OS X. To hide them again, open Terminal and type:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    killall Finder​

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Alt Delete and Password confirmation should do it but you SHOULD NOT DELETE THEM

Reason... they all begin with a '.' which marks the file as a system file and hidden! And this obviously means that are essential for the stability and sustenance of the system!

4. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Often, . files are useless little flecks left lying around by OS X. For instance... I copied several gig of mp3 files to a thumb drive expecting to copy them to another computer. I got to the other end and found there were double the files! For every nn.mp3 there was also a ._somethingorother_nn.mp3. This confused the heck out of the computer at the other end and I ended up deleting thousands of ._*.mp3 files to get everything back the way I wanted it. Then I found 3rd party software that would delete .DS_Store and other useless dot files for you. The point I'm making here is that just because it's a dot file doesn't mean it's important. In come cases, it's absolutely useless. There is no way .ds or other . files should be created on removeable media. THere is even a fix in OS X to prevent . files from being created on network drives. Why not also prevent them from being created on thumb drives?

Apple has let us down here and they really should fix this.

From the files you have listed, you can definitely live without .bash_history and .ds_store. The others on the list, I don't recognize but I wouldn't assume they are important or necessary. Research them one by one in google and on Apple's support forums before deciding whether to delete them. Turning off "show hidden files" is one way to avoid having to look at these files, but there might be some situations where you want to delete them.

I guess my rule for this could be summed up this way. If they waste a lot of disk space or get in the way of something else working (like those doggone .nnn.mp3 files) then delete them once you have confirmed they are not needed. If they don't cause a problem or you aren't sure if you need them or not, leave them alone.

Since they show up in Dreamweaver, I can't imagine they are a real issue. Simply ignore them. After all, in dreamweaver, you should only be editing html, css, php, js, etc files. Of course, you do want to make sure you don't inadvertantly copy those dot files to the web when you publish your web pages. There might be some personal data in those dot files.

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

When you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME both...

I certainly would NOT want to lose .bash_history...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless you KNOW what each file is and what it's used for (and your post sounds like you don't), it's not wise to recommend that someone delete them from their system.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

For sure-- or lose printing by deleting the .cups directory, not to mention .Trash!