How can I extract specific scenes of video files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by knobtwiddler, Aug 20, 2007.

1. knobtwiddler macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

I've been wanting to make compilation videos for a while and need an app to save specific scenes from video files. If there is anything that can save scenes from all types of files (avi,mpg, vob/dvd etc) that would be best. I used to use dvdsrhink on windows for saving dvd scenes but no longer use a pc.

2. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

Allllllright, come on now. Any takers? I really don't want this to be something a pc can beat a mac at (ie dvdshrink).

3. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

There are certain DVD ripping apps that can rip just one chapter on the DVD. You might then have to crop it down a little more, but it would save you from having to rip the entire disc. No, I will not tell you which apps they are.

Is your p**n really that inaccessible right now? :p

4. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

Hey, I enjoy my pron as much as the next guy, but actually, I'm trying to make a compilation of tom waits videos I have on the computer.

I know dvd2onex will do specific chapters but how do I select (or crop) certain parts. Like select from 2:51 to 6:45. Something like that. I already have visualhub for splicing the bits together. I just need to cut the bits out (like the audio program amadeus)

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Give Quicktime Pro a shot. It can extract video from whatever clips you have. Not every single format will be supported, but most ought to be.

6. Mernak macrumors 6502

Handbrake and Quicktime Pro if you have it (or iMovie if you don't) work for DVDs perfectly. Visualhub and iSquint are pretty good at converting other formats to ones that Quicktime will accept.

7. stealthman1 macrumors regular

Since you have Visual Hub, why don't you just dump all the files into VH, convert to DV and cut away in iMovie? Or did I miss something?

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Visualhub to convert to DV and iMovie sounds like the easiest.

9. slosh macrumors newbie

mactheripper for dvd chapter grabbing....

and as someone else said, mpegstreamclip is what you want--for setting in and out points and trimming down to your specific clip, on just about anything. you'll need the quicktime mpeg2 codec to load vob files into it. mpegstreamclip'll also demux vobs into mpeg2 and audio, which you can then bring into dvdstudiopro. it'll also let you do a lot of conversions.

also ffmegx is a good tool to have around, though it takes a lot of trial and error.

10. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

Alright, thanks everyone. Looks like I've got an array of options now. It may take some converting, re-converting, etc but looks like I'm on my way. thanks

11. antony21 macrumors newbie

Re:How can I extract specific scenes of video files?

I'd add Watermark Master to the list of programs for processing video files. Here there is an ability to extract scenes, to convert files into another format and many other useful features.

Very simple application

http://www.videocharge.com

12. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

I'll give that watermark thing a try. Funny you should reply though. I just figured out extracting with qt pro a few days ago.

13. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

Well, hell. Watermark is a windows only app. Guess I could try it in parallels.