How can I find which app uses my disc space?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Denis54, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Denis54 macrumors member

I am a new iPad user and have not been able to find an answer to my question with Google.

iTunes shows that my apps use 6.5 GB. When I add manually the size used by each app I get a total of 0.8 GB.

How can I find where the unidentified 5.7 GB are used?

NOTE: To find the space used by each app I choose the app tab in iTunes and added manually the size shown for each app

2. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Is one just the size of the app itself and the other the app plus any data it stores?

3. Consultant, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

In iTunes "Apps" tab, scroll down to "File Sharing"

Some apps store data there. Usually user created data, but sometimes you can put videos in video player apps for example.

Apple should have it where the app data can be sorted like the apps.

4. err404 macrumors 68020

Plug your iPad into your computer and bring it up in iTunes. under the iPad section, select the Apps tab. This will list the apps and the actual installed size. You can also see any data files use by your apps.

It's a bit crude right now. Fortunately in a few months iOS5 will bring significant improvements in the area. You will get more detailed information and control directly from your iPad.

5. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

The problem was Press Reader. iTunes shows that this app uses 8.3 MB but in reality it uses much more than that

I subscribe to a newspaper that uses that app. All previous copies (about 40 - 50) were stored on my iPad. I just deleted all them except for the last 7. iTunes now shows that disc space used by apps is 2.2 Gb, down from 6.5 GB previously.

I hope iOS5 allows us to see what is on our disc. The present method reminds me of the user friendliness of DOS