How can i fix a corrupted (Quicktime) iPhone 4 video file?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ToddJ, May 1, 2011.

1. ToddJ macrumors 6502

I have a video that i recorded back in October with my iPhone 4, but for some reason now it won't play. It says "The movie could not be opened. The file is not a movie file. I have tried a bunch of different corrupted video repair software programs....i got one to convert a little bit of it (you have to pay over $100 to get the full converted video.) While the video is a nice short little video, it isn't worth $100 to have it ...however, is there another way to fix these? i know it helps to have a video that is a reference video shot around the same time, which i do. if anyone has any suggestions, i would greatly appreciate it.

2. ToddJ thread starter macrumors 6502

BTW, The name of the software i used to fix it (the demo only does around 9 seconds worth) is called Video Repair Tool v.1.6. Has anyone found any software similar to this that is cheaper? i believe from what i have read the "moov" file is either corrupted or missing....

3. WestSt macrumors member

Tried opening in other players then QuickTime? The message doesnt say the file is corrupted is why I'm asking. Try at least VLC, Handbrake, and MPEG Streamclip...

4. ToddJ thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have tried all three...it doesn't seem to play with any of them :(

5. WestSt, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

WestSt macrumors member

When open in MPEG Streamclip (click "open anyway" when file isnt recognized), click "stream info" - what does it say?

Edit: BTW to be precise - sadly theres no easy free fix I know :-/ Check this out http://imnotbruce.blogspot.com/2009/07/fixing-corrupted-quicktime-files.html