How Can I Fix My MBP Screen? (Pictures Included)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Dec 29, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

For about 2 weeks now my MBP (13 inch) has been messing up on the screen area. More times than not this oddly messed up, lit pane on the screen comes up and remains at all times.

I've tried moving the screen up and down (like, lowering its position to almost a close) but no luck at all.

About a week ago I searched on IFixIt to see how to fix the LCD screen and discovered I could take apart most of the MBP, including separating the bottom half (keyboard) from the screen portion of the overall MBP.

Nevertheless reached the cable that connects the screen itself to the logic board......but figured i'd ask here, assuming and hoping someone can steer me in a positive direction.

(Yes, I have AppleCare, but have taken my MBP apart so many times I'd rather do this myself considering if I send it in to Apple, they'd most likely notice my modifications inside)

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

As it seems to be happening on a variety of screens, and still appears after a reset I would say (in my sleepy Wednesday morning state) that its either going to be a problem with the logic board or the connection to the logic board.

My answer. Take it back to an Apple Store. What 'mods' have you done?

4. HappyDude20, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yes I have and upon the screen turning on after startup the same thing on the screen appears.

I know I haven't spilled anything inside of the machine and will most likely place blame on the connection to the logic board/lcd screen.

Really, it's one mod, where I sanded the apple logo from the inside with sandpaper so I could place a purple color filter inside so my MBP's apple logo would be purple. Admittedly, though getting a lot of compliments, it's not worth the mental trouble of having a messed up screen.

I'd say its on the cable and the connection itself. This exact part in fact:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-LCD/1423/11

Everything seems fine on the macbook pro, including the connecting parts I just linked to. It just seems that perhaps its not secured right, or not secured tightly enough....

..and it makes sense too. Considering on numerous I would take the glass bezel off my MBP to access the apple logo from behind to add or remove the purple color filter before taking it to the apple store.

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Do a screenshot, look at it on an external monitor or something. If the bright field is gone, I'd say it's a display issue.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

..not really much.

..not flashy, which is the way I like it.

Just something to stray away from the norm...

..But after the recent headache, currently the MBP is back to its original white color, with no plans on going back to green or purple considering its too much of a hassle now if my MBP is put in jeopardy.

Attached Files:

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Just did a few screenshots, emailed them to myself and viewed them on the iPad without any issues.....

It's def. the screen on the MBP itself.

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Ignore ifixit guides whenever possible. You don't have to remove the display assembly or even the bottom cover to get to the LCD. Use a hot air SMD rework station(not a hair dryer) to remove the glass with a suction cup. Lay your arm along the black hinge cover. The heat will get too hot for your arm before it is hot enough to damage the keys/hinge cover. Remove glass, remove LCD, put new LCD in, apply new 3M 465 adhesive, put old glass back on.

I have a conspiracy theory they make their guides odd on purpose to discourage DIY repair.

9. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Whoa...new LCD?

I really don't think the LCD is busted, just that the connection between the LCD to the Logic Board wasn't hinged on correctly/tight enough.

If push comes to shove I may prep my MBP up (by making sure no traces of my being in there exist) and take it to my nearest Apple Store.

10. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

11. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Could very well be an inverter, but something like that is mostly an LCD issue in my experience. Haven't fully read the thread - did you try reconnecting all the connectors? Let us know how it comes out.

12. HappyDude20, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

The original time when I took apart my MBP I did so with the intent of reconnecting everything securely. For the first 2 days after doing so my LCD screen was perfect with no problems, but afterwards on the 3rd day the (pictured) issue came back. Keeping in mind the original reason for taking apart the MacBook was because of the LCD screen issue itself.

13. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Sorry to be clear - did you have the problem before you took it apart for the first time?

14. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yes, which was the reason I took apart the MBP in the first place.

Edit: I really believe the LCD screen began showing this because of the numerous times I would take off the black glass bezel from the MBP to then reach the LCD screen, to then access behind the apple logo to add a color filter. After numerous times of doing so it seems almost obvious (though oblivious to me) that an issue with the LCD screen would arise. I've always held the LCD screen with care and ease everytime I've had to hold it, which really leads me to believe its an issue with the connector...

...of which i'm wondering if its an okay idea to spray some of that compressed air in a can, onto the connector itself; you know, the cans they sell @ Best buy & Frys....or "compressed gas duster" as titled on Best Buys website.

15. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Everybody says this, and 99.9% of the time, it's the LCD. I still bet my kitties it's the LCD.

I say thank god because replacing the display cable is a pain in the ass. Then again, so is the LCD now, thanks to the glass.

There are lots of "connections" inside the LCD itself on its PCB, and across the entire screen that could be bad. The display cable rarely goes because it doesn't get jerked like a headphone plug.

There is no separate inverter in his model. It's all inside the LCD.

16. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

curious.....what are the mods that you are referring to that you mentioned?

I admire your desire to fix the machine yourself, but I am surprised that you would try such a difficult repair it you don't exactly know how to do the complete job.

17. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I really hope you're not right about it being the LCD itself. Later on tonight I'll take apart my MacBook once again in hopes of fixing the problem.

If push comes to shove I may have to prep my MacBook to ship it out to my nearest apple store, though as the behest of losing my 3 year warranty.

18. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

The only mod was sanding the apple logo from the inside to insert a color filter to change the color of the apple logo when turned on.

19. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Update - It Works Now!

So I decided to take apart my MBP again tonight.

I completely took it apart and after 40 minutes of channeling towards the LCD screen and the cable, I noticed the cable, or rather where the LCD & cable connect was dinged/messed up a little bit. But I decided to still forcefully, gently connect it once again and success.

My screen now works perfectly as new. Though its been only an hour so far and am gonna be on edge for the next week in case it comes back. If so, i'll hand it over to AppleCare.

Just thought i'd update the thread in case anyone else ever runs into such a situation.

20. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

congrates on figuring out the prob, just use an external sticker to change color from now on so you dont void applecare