How can I fix my mistake with the SSD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trutalu, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Trutalu macrumors newbie

Trutalu

I have a Mac (Mid-2012) 13'' 2.9Ghz ver.
    I wanted to boost my macs speed to help me in run programs for school. I watched some really easy vids about installation and thought I had all the information I needed. So I bought the OWC 240GB Extreme Pro 6G. Now I did a little bit more reading and I had the intention of replacing my HDD (Like I saw in so many videos) but my HDD (the hard drive my mac came with) has 750Gb. So Im assuming I bought to small of an SSD right? If the answer is yes then I thought maybe I would buy the Data doubler that OWC make install it and use it for my windows. Now if this is the only option I have. I have one problem. I lost my windows 7 disk, so I dont know if there is a way to transfer my windows 7 along with all myfiles to the SSD without re-installation.

can anyone clear things up for me?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Depends how much of your 750GB HDD is used, if more than 240GB and you want to keep all the files then yes, it is too small.

You can probably install the SSD using the data doubler and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to selectively copy the required OSX files to the SSD to allow it to boot, CCC will warn you if the result will not be bootable. You may then still be able to boot from what I presume will be a windows partition on the 750GB HDD??

3. Trutalu thread starter macrumors newbie

Trutalu

So I definitely use more than 240Gb now and In the future so Im going to have to do it the hard way.
    so if im reading this right.

Install Data doubler.
    Install Carbon Copy Cloner.
    From Mac OS Copy Windows 7 Partition with CCC to the SSD
    Pray for a miracle.

Now assuming this works how would I delete the original version I have in bootcamp. Also since this is on the SSD and not running through Bootcamp is it now a full-fledged OS?

Assuming it doesnt work, what do I do from that point. I actually just got off the phone with a rep of OWC and they suggested WinClone, is that a good app to paste my windows with all its trimming into the SSD?

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Not quite:

Install Data doubler, install the SSD into it.
    Install Carbon Copy Cloner.
    From Mac OS Copy OSX to the SSD, boot from it
    Your Windows 7 Partition should still be visible and you should be able to boot from it, if you want to move that Windows 7 partition to the SSD then you will need to adjust the partitions on the SSD then I'm not sure, you may need to reinstall Windows onto the new partition...

Winclone? No idea, I don't use windows at all...

5. Trutalu thread starter macrumors newbie

Trutalu

But how would that work? My Mac OSX is already past the 240GB limit. Why cant I copy the bootcamp partition into the drive instead of copying the whole Mac OSX?

6. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

How much did you pay for the OWC SSD? On their website it seems very expensive ($172.75). That's more than every common 480 or 500GB SSDs.

The Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD is just $249.99 on Amazon and has very much reviews, most of them with 5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8ABHVQ/

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Because I think you may need to reinstall Windows and you don't have the disk. You don't need to copy your entire OSX partition across, only the OS files (so no iTunes media, photos etc), that will easily fit into 240GB

8. Trutalu thread starter macrumors newbie

Trutalu

I was originally going to get something similar but was reading reviews that people were having problems with Samsung SSD in Macs

9. Erdbeertorte, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015

Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

I have two Samsung EVO 850 in my Late 2011 MBP and no problems. Same for the older 840 and 830 that are now in a MacBook Mid-2010 and MBP 2008.

You can see in the Questions and Reviews that the SanDisk is working fine in Macs too.

I read those problems with slowing down to SATA-I speed occur only in the optical drive bay and just with some 2008-2009 MB(Pro)s with NVIDIA-Chipset.

Also you have SATA-III like every SSD now. The problem was a SATA-III SSD on a SATA-II port.

10. Trutalu, Dec 29, 2015

Trutalu thread starter macrumors newbie

Trutalu

Ok Im going to return the OWC and try this SanDisk one.

So this one seems rather simple tell me if im wrong. I bought the USB for the SSD. Am I just going to use CCC to copy my OS along with windows bootcamp to my SSD. Set my start up for the SSD and then install the SSD itself? Is that how it works? Everything will transfer no problem?

11. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

I never had a SanDisk but heard nothing bad about them. And if you really need so much space it is a good cheap option and you also can keep the optical drive and don't have to buy and install anything like the data doubler.

You just need a cheap USB 3.0 enclosure like that:

http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...=1451437154&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+3.0+enclosure

And can clone the complete 750GB HDD on it before you install the SSD. That should work with the free trial version of CCC.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That Sandisk is just fine. No reason to overpay for the OWC drive. I honestly don't understand why anybody buys them with the prices they charge.

You will need something like WinClone to copy the Bootcamp partition over like simonsi mentioned.

13. Trutalu, Dec 29, 2015

Trutalu thread starter macrumors newbie

Trutalu