How can I fix up this old MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paratrooper, Nov 8, 2010.

1. paratrooper macrumors newbie

paratrooper

So I just reinstalled Tiger for a friend who's MacBook wasn't working. While I've still got it with me, I'd like to make other minor improvements to it. They are willing to pay for up to like $50 in improvements as well.

I know I could double the RAM in this for like $25. Also, I know it's really involved, but I've thought about going in there and replacing the broken left hinge (about $19).

What else can I do to improve either the hardware or software of this MacBook?

Thanks,
    P

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd be impressed if you could double the RAM for $25. If you could, that would be a decent idea

3. paratrooper thread starter macrumors newbie

paratrooper

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You can mix and match the RAM so leave one 256mb stick in and up the other to 1gb or go all the way with 2 1 gb sticks as mentioned.

6. iThinkergoiMac, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Maxing out the RAM is the single biggest performance boost you could do. Putting in a faster hard drive would be another performance boost.

Fixing the hinge is important unless it is rarely used (and considering the narrow viewing angle of the screen, I'd say it's used a lot). If the hinge is left broken, it puts a lot of strain on other components, especially the other intact hinge.

As far as the software, make sure the latest updates are installed. If your friend feels like getting Snow Leopard ($30), that would make a nice performance improvement over Tiger as well, depending on the specs of the laptop.

If you can convince your friend, a new hinge, 2 GB RAM, and possibly SL will make it feel like a new computer.

7. paratrooper thread starter macrumors newbie

paratrooper

Great input, I really appreciate it.

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N