Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Configuration: Mac Pro (2008, 8800GT), Mac OS 10.5.3 & Vista x64 (via Boot Camp, latest graphics drivers from nVidia for Vista x64), 2 x LaCie 120 monitors.

Problem: While booting in either OS, monitor went black with a bouncing icon ‘Input not supported’.

I’ve more or less resolved the issue in Mac OS, but booting into Vista remains a trouble.

Problem is that OS is forcing a higher refresh rate than is supported by my LaCie 120: 75 MHz (or more) instead of 60 MHz.

After the boot-up is completed, interface loads and everything is fine. But if there is some error during booting, the screen remains black with this bouncing icon ‘Input not supported’. Thus I have to find a way to change the refresh rate on the system boot stage.

Is there any possibility to force the right refresh rate (command line, Terminal etc.) for both systems?

I’ve googled this issue, but so far none of the remedies have helped.

Thanks,
sash

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Boot into Vista using "safe mode". This forces the standard rather than the driver loaded options for your graphics card. While in safe mode, reset the refresh rate to 60 HZ. BTW, refresh rates are in Hz not MHz.

Regards.

sash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Boot into Vista using "safe mode". This forces the standard rather than the driver loaded options for your graphics card. While in safe mode, reset the refresh rate to 60 HZ.

That's part of the problem: screen remains black all the way till booting is finished, thus I don't see anything (except this bouncing icon).

BTW, refresh rates are in Hz not MHz. Regards.

Yes, typo, sorry.

Kind regards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.