How can I free up my hard disk space?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by k-021, Feb 22, 2012.

1. k-021, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

k-021 macrumors newbie

I just recently learned that deleting files is pointless, all you're doing is hiding them or moving them somewhere inaccessible. Can somebody help?
    Is there a program to buy, or is there a Terminal command that helps my problem? I have 40 / 98GB now and I was hoping that I could use Terminal to delete the Trashed files that still exist on my computer.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. If you delete files and empty your trash, that space is made available to you.
    Just empty your trash. You don't need to do anything more. If you like you can securely empty your trash, but either way, when you empty it, that space is freed up.

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:

3. k-021 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had this for about 2 years now, I believe. I had 99 or 98 GB as far as I remember, and now it's down to 40. Just yesterday I copied about 15-25 gigabytes onto a flash drive and then deleted the moved items that were copied. Then I emptied the Trash and Shut Down the computer altogether. Now I get back on and see that I have 42GB where I should be back to 60 at least.

And I really don't want to download anything, if I can walk into a store to get it, or order something from a major site that would be most ideal. Second to just using a utility that I already have, of course.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As those apps are free, it's not a problem to download one, use it, then uninstall it.

5. k-021 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again, I don't want to download anything. Once you welcome malware onto your computer, you have to do something about it, that was the whole point of avoiding a download, free or not. Sorry to say that everything you've told me is either irrelevant or unhelpful. The effort is appreciated, so thanks, but never mind.

6. simsaladimbamba

But the software Mister GGJstudios linked to is not malware, I myself link to those applications and have used all of them.

But as it is your choice, you are free to do whatever you don't want to do, though maybe the Mac Virus / Malware FAQ might help taking away your doubts or concerns.

PS:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As one who spends a great deal of time educating people about malware, I'm not going to suggest apps that are questionable. This forum wouldn't permit anyone posting links to malware. The suggestions I've made are only helpful if you follow them. If you don't want help, why did you ask for it?

8. WRP macrumors 6502a

Sorry to say you are clueless about your computer.

9. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Are you afraid of the files being recoverable after deletion, or are you trying to just free up space? Obviously deleting files will free up space.