How Can I Get 5.1 Surround Sound With ATV2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mike4AU, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Mike4AU macrumors member

I just jailbroke my Apple TV2 and cannot get 5.1 surround sound when watching HD movies through Kodi with movie add-ons (Genesis, IceFilms, etc). Surround sound works fine when watching a HD movie with Netflix.

Also, the overall audio volume is very low with Genesis, etc. I have to pump up the volume pretty high.

There is nothing wrong with my audio equipment. I have tested its performance.

I sure would appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I have not tried kodi on the ATV2 because I dont have one and wish I did,

but on other builds you have to enable audio passthrough in the audio settings, may have to change to 'advanced settings' or whatever they call it. Right now it sounds like decoding is being done on the ATV

3. Mike4AU thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response, gotluck. Yes, I have gone into advanced audio settings and enabled pass through, Dolby Digital, etc. and still no go. My Marantz AVR and speakers handle 5.1 SS perfectly on Netflix (and HBO, etc.), but no go on the JB'ed portion of the ATV2.

I am perplexed!

Thanks

4. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Are you sure the source is 5.1? An IceFilm movie maybe in HD, but that doesn't mean it's in 5.1.

Just a thought

5. lexdiamonnyc macrumors member

Off Topic: this is a great time to sell the ATV2 at a premium and upgrade to a FireTV Box, I made the switch and notice the Fire TV is faster and generally runs smoother.......it's also rumored that XBMC/Kodi will only support the ATV2 for another year, then you won't get any more updates.

Just saying...

6. Mike4AU thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, folks.

I am thinking about getting an AFTV Box, but I have read that the Box has problems with surround sound. I have more research to do. If I get a Box, I have to decide whether to get a rooted one.

I have two JB'ed ATV2's and one handles surround sound with no problems, while the other one does not. It is a head scratcher.

7. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck