How can I get a 6gb file to my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spaceboots06, Jun 16, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi,

I have a 6gb file on my Windows machine and I would like to transfer it to my Mac. It is a .iso type file. Can I somehow split the .iso into two parts, burn it onto two 4gb dvd discs and then join them together?

My 500gb external hard drive is FAT32 because my Mac only recognizes that so it's not possible to just transfer the .iso easily.

Thanks!

2. msevild macrumors regular

Do you have a lot of data on the drive already? It is possible to reformat it in Windows to NTFS. The mac won't be able to write to it by default but would still be able to read and copy the files off of it and you wouldn't be limited by the 4GB file size. If not, then yes you'd have to use a program to split the file in two and rejoin on the mac.

Although...you could potentially network the two computers together and transfer the file that way, unless they aren't on the same network or in the same location.

3. qacjared macrumors regular

Both Macs and PCs can read and write FAT32. (USB Flash Drives and Memory Cards are formatted in FAT32) Why don't you put it on the external drive from the PC then copy it from the external to the Mac?

4. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

FAT32 gets a brain fart when you try to transfer files over 4gb.

I was considering reformatting to NTFS then reformatting back to FAT32 so I can write back on the external drive.

I was also thinking sharing the folder the .iso is in over my network and then getting the file from my Boot Camp partition and doing something with the partition in terms of getting it to the OS X partition. How does this method sound?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

FAT32 has a 4 GB limitation for an individual file. Which means if the caller tried to transfer his 6+ GB file it would fail to write to the drive. I would agree with msevild that the best thing to do is find a NTFS-formatted drive and do the transfer using that drive.

...And late to respond yet again...must be the witching hour of MR ;)

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

7. Inakto macrumors regular

re

Just winrar into 100 different files, then decompress on mac using unarchiver
    :)

8. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

If you are thinking of using a DVD you could just buy a Dual Layer DVD which is 8.9GB (that's a guess off the top of my head but it is over 6GB)

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Macs can read NTFS natively...

And can write NTFS with NTFS-3g w/Mac Fuse.

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

You wouldn't have to reformat it back if you installed ntfs-3g. This gives the mac the ability to write to ntfs drives as well as read. This way you can easily share files between pc and mac whenever you want. And they can be as large as you want

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That's what I was going to suggest. Easy to do and solves the problem.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Ethernet
    Thumbdrive
    IM with direct file transfer (some go through server)
    Wifi