How can I get Apple to ship me a new boxed 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shyfe, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Shyfe macrumors member

The first one I ordered that shipped from China, week 25, didn't have the yellow screen, but I exchanged it twice for 2 week 24's and they both have yellow screens. It's rather ridiculous. I called Apple Care today and they said they were gonna send me a box to ship my phone back and they would ship me a new one back. Is this going to be a new one in a sealed black box or is it like the Apple Store replacement? If so, how can I get them to ship me a new one from China?

2. swr2000 macrumors member

I'd imagine that it'll be a new one

3. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

It most likely will be new as I doubt there are many refurbs to fill the pipeline yet, but who knows. The refurbs are as good if not better than new in box anyways, I wouldn't be overly concerned about a refurb.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

Sure there are...what do you think they do with all of the phones with yellow screens that people keep returning? :p

5. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

I asked them if they could ship me a phone before I shipped mine back. They said it would cost $30. Is this the standard procedure or could I possibly get someone to do it without the charge?

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If you want to avoid the charge, take it to the Apple Store. Why did you return the first one that had a good screen?

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

If you want to receive an exchange before they receive your warranty unit, you get to pay $29 + Tax plus a charge to your credit card for the replacement cost of the iPhone, just in case you don't return your phone.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/exchange/

Your best bet would be at the Apple Store but it sounds like you might have worn out your welcome there with all of the exchanges in less than 6 days.

Just to be clear, you wll not receive a sealed "retail" box via ARS. You will only receive the phone. You will be instructed to keep your current accessories and just return your phone.

Did you purchase your first iPhone 3G S at the Apple Store? That would be your best option to receive a new "retail" box exchange.

Dave

8. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

The first one had a tilted power button and I didn't realize the yellow screen issue was this common. I ordered it online.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

of all the issues people exchange for, tilted power button is the stupidest

if your power button isnt tilted, it will be
    IT SHIFTS
    sometimes its straight. Later, its tilted to the left, then the right, then its straight again

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some people are way too picky.
    They go back and forth exchanging multiple times till they finally find the supposedly "Perfect" Iphone.
    Get over it, its only a phone. You're not buying a house or getting married to it. Most likelly you'll buy a new one in less than a year.

11. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Some people just are really picky with all their purchases but that shouldn't be criticized. I do agree that it is annoying to keep reading post after post about them.

12. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Amen brother...or sister! ;)

Steve

13. JohnFa macrumors regular

Could someone post a couple of pictures so I can see the difference between a "normal" phone and a yellow screen one? I don't really understand what people are talking about when they mention the yellow tint since Apple made the 3G more yellow than blue as compared to the 2G. So I always thought it was a good thing.

14. warburg macrumors 6502a

Amen! What is a yellow screen :confused: Also, I've had three iphones (and my wife has had three), and all the power buttons are tilted, aren't they?

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a couple of threads here that contain pictures, I'm sure you can easily dig them out and see the issue.

I have to agree with the other posters, some people are way too picky - a tilted button? Also don't forget that apple changed the white point on the phone to make them display a warmer color so there will be a difference between a 3G and a 3GS

16. jalpert macrumors 6502

Maybe he was too picky about the power button, maybe not. But I can assure you that the yellow screen issue is very real and very annoying. I had to replace my 3G and got a yellow screen. 3 replacements later, all yellow, and I gave up and sold it and bought a 3GS. He may be picky, but Apple certainly has some quality control issues.

17. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

yes I have realized the tilted button is on a lot of the phones. except mine was COMPLETELY sinking in on one side. like it was not even possible to press it on that side because it was in the phone. My new one is not slightly yellow. It's actually blue on top, but it gets yellow as I go down which is quite annoying.

18. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I have the same home button. My button doesn't even click unless I hit way to right. Might have to take it in. Really annoying.