How can I get ext. hard drives to show up on second (not main) display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by malch, Dec 3, 2015.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    I used three displays when editing, and need the big one to be the main display for the sake of keeping my editing software happy. But when it launches, it hides the external hard drive icons, that also always insist on appearing on this main display.
    I'm wondering if there's a way (a setting in my OS or extra software I can add) that would make my hard drives show up on the display of my choice, rather than the one of their choice.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    malch

2. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

for the hidden icons: http://www.elmajdal.net/Mac_OS/How_To_Display_Hard_Disks_On_Mac_OSX_Lion_Desktop.aspx

are you experiencing problems with simply dragging the icon to your display of choice?

3. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Brio,
    Thanks for your reply. No, I can drag the hard drive icons to one of my other displays (sometimes the icons disappear in the process, but I can get at them in my Finder window). But I'd rather just tell my OS where to appear, i.e., one of my secondary displays, and not have to drag the icons (they're heavy!).
    malch

4. c8rlo, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015

c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

gotcha, i'm gonna check my setup to see if i have the same issues when i get home, i too have a 3 display setup...