How can I get Lion for Fresh Install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BasilFawlty, Dec 17, 2011.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I just bout a new MBP with Lion. As you know it did not come with a Disk for the OS. So, how to I get Lion so I can install to an external drive (fresh install), so I can then swap drives in my MBP?

2. sofasurfer macrumors member

Download Lion from the App store and then these sites will help you create a bootable USB drive.

To make a bootable USB drive

http://www.macworld.com/article/160124/2011/05/osxflashdrive.html

and instructions on what to do with the Lion download

http://www.macworld.com/article/161069/2011/07/make_a_bootable_lion_installer.html

I followed these and my MBP now has Lion and I have a bootable USB Lion disc.

3. praetorx macrumors regular

All MBPs that have Lion pre-installed come with a recovery partition you can use to perform a clean factory install of the OS.
    Hold the command+R keys while the MBP is starting to access the recovery environment.

4. sofasurfer macrumors member

But the drive the OP has hasn't got Lion installed on it so no recovery partition.

5. hotgrease macrumors regular

I believe you install the new drive and hold the option key on startup. Connect to a wireless network and then you can download the OS directly.

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Connect the drive to the mac, restart on the recovery partition and point the installer to your external drive.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This should be the easiest solution.

8. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

sometimes you just have to think out of the box... if you are afraid to experiment you will never learn.

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

umm ur answer would be in the instruction manual or could have used the searched bar