How can I get my iPhone data plan back on? [a bit complicated]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, May 19, 2010.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

A while ago I was determined to sell my iPhone, buy iPad 3G and get a cheap phone for making calls. That's exactly what I did, consecutively canceling iPhone data plan too.

In the end, I wasn't satisfied with iPad 3G (main issue was portability). So I sold it and decided to get iPhone HD when it's released.

The reason I wanna get the iPhone data plan back is that I'm afraid I won't be eligible for an early upgrade (in case there's such an option for iPhone HD). Also, I hope to be one of those whose full-upgrade eligibility gets moved to earlier dates. But I know it won't happen without iPhone data plan.

So the question is: how can I have my iPhone data plan back on my account? When calling CS, they ask for iPhone IMEI number. Is there a workaround? Please, help me. Much much appreciated.

:)

2. tnisatard macrumors 6502

didnt they already move the eligibility dates? why dont you just check now

3. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Go to the AT&T Wireless website and manually change the phone on your account to an iPhone? Then add the data plan online.
    Don't know if it will work, but worth a try.

When did you get your iPhone originally? Also, you can check your eligibility date on the AT&T wireless website.

4. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

@tnisatard I had cancelled data plan long before AT&T started moving eligibility dates, I think.

@viskiz I've changed my current phone to iPhone on my account. But I don't think it changes anything. I believe it's just a visual representation for user's convenience.

I'd had my 3GS since around launch day. Also, my upgrade eligibility has always said March 2011 and still does.

5. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Your best bet, since it appears you would have already paid the ETF, is to keep a regular phone on a cheap plan. When the new phone comes out, add a line and get the new iPhone, and keep the other phone on the plan as the extra line for $10/month or whatever the charge is. It's cheaper than wasting money on an iPhone data plan that you're not gonna use.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Borrow a friends phone, place your SIM card in it, plug it into iTunes and activate your SIM card on the iPhone. This will add an iPhone data plan back to your account.

Swap your SIM card back. I did this right before the 3G came out.