How can I get my MBP replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7ewis, Nov 10, 2013.

1. 7ewis macrumors newbie

So, I purchased a new 15" MBP from John Lewis (Big UK Retailer) a week ago, after delays in delivery and a few problems, I eventually received it.

Earlier today, I realised it had a small, but annoying manufacturing fault. (Details of the 'fault': Basically, the black plastic hinge at the back of the laptop should almost be flush with the aluminium casing, there is a very small gap, which is normal. But on mine, this very small gap gets bigger at one point, and if you shut the lid and look at it head on, you can see it slightly sticks out, also if you run your fingers along, you can feel the ridge). The laptop hasn't left my house, or been moved much at all, and is in perfect condition apart from this, but now I've noticed it, it annoys me. I paid a lot of money for the laptop, and expect it to be perfect out of the box, I don't want to have problems with the hinge in the future, so obviously I want a replacement.

I've spoken to Apple on the Live Chat, and they said that it does seem annoying, and they would want it replaced too, and recommended that I take it back to John Lewis. Although they have a really good reputation in the UK, apparently they aren't replacing items as easily as they used to, and as they're not Apple, I think they may try and blame me for user error. Whereas I think an Apple Genius would see that it isn't.

But I read that Apple would want to repair rather than replace. I don't live near John Lewis, so don't know what the best course of action is.

I just want a perfect working laptop! What should I do?

2. coys67 macrumors newbie

By law,if you bought online you have 14 days from delivery to demand your money back for any reason or even if you change your mind.

Under UK law you are covered by The Sale of Goods Act and the Distance Selling Regulations check out the John Lewis website and it will tell you exactly how to return your laptop by post and get a full refund.

In this case your contract of sale is with John Lewis and Apple may give you advice but any refund or exchange would have to be handled by John Lewis,i am sure if you contact their customer support they will give you all the information you need.

3. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

If that is the only problem with your macbook retina, count yourself lucky. The 15'' seems to be plagued with problems (i've gone through a fair # of them).

4. 7ewis thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Like what?

I returned it, and have a new one now, that seems okay. It does make some noises if you squeeze the case but it's fine.. I think!

5. LaravelNick macrumors member